1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Modifying 100 Classic Book Collection

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Wintrale, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Wintrale

Wintrale Well-Known Member

Before I start, I apologise if this is in the wrong section. I didn't see one defined for this kind of discussion and figured technical help would be the best place to ask.

Is it possible to modify this ROM? Does anyone know if the actual books themselves are separate files that can be swapped out for other books? I'm wondering because it's the best eBook-esuqe software for the DS right now (all other text readers seem to only work with the DS held in the standard position, as opposed to turned on it side like a book) and I'd really like to swap out those 100 for a different collection of books... I'm no fan of Jane Austin or Emily Bronte but I'm a huge fan of Philip Pullman and Garth Nix, for example, and would love to swap out her stuff for the His Dark Materials and Abhorsen trilogies. Generally, I'd just seek to replace every book in the ROM with books I want in there.

So yeah, is it possible? Has anyone tried anything like this?

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

There are Ebook-type DS homebrew out there that let you rotate the images side ways to read them as a book.

Search for Comic readers.

3. Wintrale

I tried something called ReadMore, but it was ridiculously vague... It didn't say where to put the files, other than to create directories for the fonts and save states... So there was no mention of where you needed to put the .txt files themselves, nor if you could tidy the thing up by having it all put into another folder. I'm trying to get it working, although my first try just landed me with a completely unresponsive introduction page.

edit ;; Got it working, sort of. No point in using it, though, since it's not been worked on since '07. I'm using something called DS Libris now, meaning I need to somehow convert all my .txt files to .xhtml in order for it to read them... ???

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I highly doubt modifying the actual would work, the books themselves would be in their format probably, plus they would be compressed with a type you will not know about. Which means reading with external or other programs will be required.

5. Wintrale

Yeah, I went with DS Libris instead, using Dreamweaver to create the .xhtml files... It works like a charm. :D

6. marcos13

marcos13 Active Member

I would recommend using DSreader.

7. lorez

lorez New Member

I d recommend using dslibris. It's awesome. Works in portrait mode on both screens and reads xhtml files. All you need is to download an ebook in whatever format you find and then use openoffice to convert it to xhtml. You can read about it and download it here: http://rhaleblian.wordpress.com/dslibris-an-ebook-reader-for-the-nintendo-ds/