1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Micro memory card differences

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Marlayna, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Marlayna

Marlayna Active Member

I'm kinda new at the whole flashcart gaming scene and I already have a 8 gb micro card. I was wondering considering all the different types out there are their a couple that are better suited to this kind of use or does it really matter? The one I have now is a 8 gb kingston and I like kingston's products and performance. I was thinking about something bigger, perhaps a 16 gb, but like I said completely new, slightly ignorant, and glad I've learned what I have so far. Any help will be awesome and be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya'll :)

The sdhc classes and all this different stuff has me way beyond confused

2. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

16GB will hold a lot of data which in turn may result in lag/freezing issues, so you would be better off purchasing a well branded microSDHC with at least a Class 6 rating.

I always purchase the Transcend brand, but if you're happy with using Kingston then purchase a 16GB Kingston.

3. Marlayna

Marlayna Active Member

So transcend is a decent brand? This kingston is the first micro card I ever used for gaming.

4. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

Just be careful about fakes. I got screwed out of ~$50 awhile back when i got a Sandisk 16gb from eBay only to have it lockup and brick in a couple weeks. My 8gb Class4 Kingston though has been a terrific card for years now.

5. Marlayna

Marlayna Active Member

How can you tell the difference between the real ones and the fakes? That sounds a bit scary, I was considering ordering from Amazon, but if Ebay has fakes then Amazon probably has it's share of them too.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

amazon is much less likely to sell fakes than ebay is.

7. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

I buy my microSD's from Amazon and yes, Transcend is a very good brand.

8. Marlayna

Marlayna Active Member

I may try a Transcend, can't stay with the same one forever just cause it's the first one I got. Amazon does seem a bit more secure.

9. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

I will only purchase Transcend, also make sure it has a Class 6 rating.

10. Marlayna

Marlayna Active Member

Would a class 10 make any difference? The reason I ask they have great prices for those.

11. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

You will probably not notice any difference between Class 6 or 10, but if you happy to get a Class 10 then yeah go ahead.

12. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

I Was looking into that too. Saw a Sandisk Ultra or whatever its called Class10 16gb on there. I Don't think those would be likely to be faked because it would take more work to make the fancy cards. Also i think most Transcend would be safe since its a smaller name-brand so it's not as lucrative to fake.

13. Marlayna

Marlayna Active Member

That does make sense. Just learned how to insert quotes on the forum :p Sorry