1. This forum is in read-only mode.

members, too many?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CJneeds6characters, Aug 5, 2008.

1. CJneeds6characters

CJneeds6characters Well-Known Member

I don't know if this should go here but...

I think theres a problem with the amount of members that are signing up and are not posting or only posting once, yes alot of them are probaly only downloading but it cant be all off them

here are the names for the member that have more than 5 posts in the first thirty pages of the member list

-a55-
    0nxy
    11jtorres

I mean comon there are thirty names per page last time I checked 30 names x 30 pages = 900. Comon out of ninehundred members only six have posted over 5. From my bad memory when I did this I remember about only 5 or 6 that had 1-2 posts otherwise only like one had between 3-4 posts

Also I've seen alot of names that repeat like these 123111

This other forum I used to go on had a huge problem like this, there were about an average of 16 pages seperted before you had a person who had posted. There longest page skip record was around 29. 29 pages before a person had posted...... they weren't even a rom site, just a regular game talk site.....

I'm not saying every member should post 1000 times just that they post at least more than a couple, like get involved at least a bit in the communtiy

This is not really a suggestion, more of a rant, a rant of awareness. I don't know how to improve this in someway im just saying it

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You can't really force them, plus, Seph does a monthly or so database cleanup of all members who don't log in and/or post. A few months ago, they did a huge cleanup, deleting over 100,000 members or so. I'm not sure how this is a problem though.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

100,000 or so non active members? Are those people just non active members on the forum or were ROM leechers also included on that list?

4. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Actually, on other rom sites, an inactive member will get deleted automatically.

5. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I dont think this is a problem, seph cleans it all up anyhow. We cant force people to post because that leads to spam and a generally uneasy community, the community here is friendly (ahem) and works well because everyone who posts here WANTS to post here.

6. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Im happy with the number of active posters. Though some of you are new to me. Um hi Almo who are you again? But seriously, imagine if 100000 people are posting. You wouldn't know who is who. The way I see it, the less thought not too little members posting, the tighter the relationship.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

including rom leechers. The main reason we don't do cleanups more often is because doing so knocks the site and forum offline due to the query taking so long and so much CPU to execute that mysql just can't serve any other requests while its doing it.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Well anyway, as long as RomUlation stays true to its commitment of being a friendly community then I'll be happy. It was this reason why I have stayed here this long, in fact it's the Admins' & moderators' tolerance of noobness (if there's such a term) that made me love this place. :D

9. err

err Well-Known Member

This is the only forum that I've posted more than 3 times. I don't know why. But you can count on me being here for a long while. I think it's because other forums are full of trolls and noobs. But yea, I love the admins/mods here (they aren't total jackasses)

10. leeroy201986

leeroy201986 Member

i've only posted a couple of times, its not always a case of people not being involved, i'd like to be more involved but wont post unless i feel that i can contribute in some way. i always browse the forum tho and i'd imagine that alot of people are like me here.

11. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

I don't see this as a problem...

12. CJneeds6characters

CJneeds6characters Well-Known Member

Meh as I said this is more of a rant.....

It's just that I've seen forums plagued with alot of members inactive and they don't do cleanups

Anyways I do agree with Cahos last post, and also leeroy201986's.....

13. DevilDinah

DevilDinah Well-Known Member

that is why this is the place we prefer to be

14. john1_1eric

john1_1eric New Member

Maybe we need some "population plan"...
    We can make two networks for these...
    I'm not too expert in networking...
    :)

15. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

We should make a flash AD banner promoting tjhe FORUMS witjh some of the active members included in it..... (ME!)

16. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, thats probably an exellent way to attract more members, except for showcasing the active members 8) instead we can show some of the most exciting forum topics.

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Okay so let me just make this issue clear.

This is primarily a ROM download site, the community is a very important part of it but not the most important. Thus we don't want to delete members who prefer to just download and not be a part of the community.

The cleaning we do does not affect "leechers". All that gets deleted in our clean ups are people who have.

a) Never posted before.
    b) Not been logged in for 6 months.

So just browsing the forum/site while logged in will spare your account.

18. nbadell

nbadell Well-Known Member

I completly agree with you, all the other site have people that like scream( or should I say use caps to express anger lol) at me alot because i cant do stuff like them :-[ but i tell them im only 15 and they just stop replying to me... but when ever I ask some one something on here, they usually reply really fast ( without typing in caps :D ) telling stuff that I should look for, or common problems. I try to maake up for that by helping other people who have problems, and telling people about stuff that I just-so-happen to stumble across, that probly works really well, like the NDS2xGL2 thingy that you can use with the officaal no$cashgba thing to make the screen bigger ect. thats why this is my favourite site for rom downloads, and tech. assistance.