1. This forum is in read-only mode.

MEGA - The new Megaupload

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Damaxo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Damaxo

Damaxo Member

https://mega.co.nz/

I hope you guys enjoy uploading all those roms again!

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Re: Megaupload

Fuck yeah.

3. Pinnacle441

Pinnacle441 New Member

Yeah, loads of ads! Woohoo! Yeah, let's enjoy our adware filled site again! Yeah, woo! Haha! Yes!

4. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

What ads? I see no ads on that site.

In fact, I have not seen a single ad on any website for a long time.

5. Damaxo

Damaxo Member

Bleep i hope you guys know its up already

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I was part of the 'press' and got into it 48 hours in advance.

7. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

crappy security and if your account gets hacked or you lose your password you get all your files deletled if you want to restore it.

8. ZHANG FELIX

ZHANG FELIX Guest

You need to remember your email and password, it is the key you want to restore it.

9. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

Two words: Honey. Pot.

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Please stop with the FUD. There's no reason to think honey pot if you knew even the tiniest bit about Kim Dotcom. Calling it a honey pot is just being a paranoid lunatic.

If you want an actual analysis that's sound and has a proof of concept then read here: http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/megafail.html but quit the rest of the fear mongering bullshit.

11. Duncan Idaho

what is FUD and honey pot?, on my case i only complained about a terrible idea regarding password, lose it and you lose any files you have uploaded onto the account, or so i've read in more than a half dozen reviews on mega (fail0verflow oddly dint comment on that point) and is what has me, eh YYMV 50 GB is tempting but if the password & Keys bit is true (to what prectorian linked me before dint helped me to make sense of it) then it's deftnly something i wont be touching.

12. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

13. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

The password thing is obvious and self-evident of all encryption. If there was a recovery option for when you lost your password then the security of the service would be null and void as they would essentially have to store your password. When it comes to encryption your data is only safe so long as you have a STRONG encryption key (strong) so the data cannot be brute forced.

But really, who needs encryption for data they need to share? Very few people. This is mostly a way for Mega to be able to say "Guys, we have no fucking idea what users are sharing, it's encrypted, there's no feasible way for us to monitor it"

14. Duncan Idaho

would a recovery option be feasible by simply matching whatever info the user submited? like say personal stuff? that could be viewed in profile? such as when gmail asks what is your favorite teacher or what is your favorite pet name and so on? i am 100% ignorant on hacking and such but wouldnt inputing such data for recovery pass would be more safe than well the option of not having a recovery way?

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

No, if you lose an encryption key the encrypted data is permanently inaccessible because it's impossible to decrypt, unless the algorithm is flawed.

16. All I can say is that I'm happy that we have a new file sharing system.

17. What8888888

What8888888 New Member

im pretty happy with it as well.. doesnt limit my upload or download speeds of any of my links.

its nice ;)