1. This forum is in read-only mode.

math puzzle from the agatha christie game

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by Hikusaak, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Hikusaak

Hikusaak Member

Okay.. I may not understand fully the question, or whatsnot, or my brain just isn't working at the moment, the number I've got is -1 for women. Which is incorrect... perhaps someone else can help :-\

Here's the q:
    I was waiting on a train from London to Paris and could not help notice all the passengers when the train arrived. There were eight more men than women, but had there been three more women and three less men, it would have been twice as many men. In addition to that, there were four children for every five women. How many total passengers on the train are going to Paris?

thanks for any help :)

2. Awec

Awec Active Member

I'm pretty sure -1 is the only viable option for the amount of women, unless the question has been worded badly.
    Maybe it's a borked question.

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I messed up, I'll be right back with the answer.

The way the question is worded comes up with -1 women. Maybe you didn't copy it down right?

4. Hikusaak

Hikusaak Member

lol I rechecked before posting and I just checked it again, the problem's correct. Who knows... perhaps it's indeed a botched question :/ disappointing if it's true..

EDITPLUS: Turns out it's a trick question and the answer is zero >_>

here's I quote the explanation:
    "Aha, you caught my little clue! I said the train had arrived. That means the passenger I saw were departing here in London! None of them were going to Paris at all."

Okaaaaaay... <_<

Thanks everyone!