1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mass Media

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrPac-Man, May 26, 2010.

1. DrPac-Man

DrPac-Man Active Member

I need help choosing three distinct countries that deal with Mass Media and society. This is related to sociology and it can't be China, Japan, Canada or U.S.A.
    :|
    It's for a project

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

well I'd suggest somewhere in the first world, somewhere in the third world, and a communist country (north korea).

3. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

what about Australia? France?

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Basically this. Because you don't have the United States available to you, you'll still want a heavily capitalist society to serve as a sort of benchmark as one extreme (businesses and mass media) - possibly the UK. A communist country like North Korea would be a fantastic resource, as the media is controlled by the government and heavily censored. I'd then suggest a European/Middle Eastern country to serve as a middle ground, as a third world country may not have the facilities for mass media as it is currently defined.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Thats more or less why I said a third world country. Although the original poster didn't say why he needs this infomation, I would imagine it to be some sort of comparative work. Even if a third world country doesn't have mass media (though I imagine most have newspapers and/or radio). there's still a lot of scope for discussion. There probably wont be a whole lot of material about north korea either, but again, plenty of scope for discussion despite this. I'd imagine somewhere like iran could be good material too, media there is government controlled but its not quite as extreme as somewhere like say north korea.