1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mario Kart DS thoughts.

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by theprins, Jan 24, 2010.

1. theprins

theprins Member

I've been really into this game lately, trying to beat all the time trials and playing the grand prix' with friends. Even though it is among the greatest racing experience you could have, there is in my opinion room for improvement.

First off they have made it impossible to be able to totally outrun your opponents, for example when you're in the lead you'll never get a red shell, star, lightning or other superior items. You'll get green shells and fake boxes while everyone else pummle you with the good stuff. And if you drive fast the npcs drives faster, I remember the days on snes when you could do laps around them if you had good run. Not that I want to be easier, quite the opposite, but I just want it to be fair. If I'm in the lead because I done amazing driving, I don't want some retard firing off a blue shell and destroy my hard work. Pisses me off...

Otherwise I find it a very good version of Mario kart, I really enjoy the time trials and racing the staff ghosts.

Anyway, just some thoughts on a classic.

2. ventehxieteh

ventehxieteh Well-Known Member

if they remove that then it wouldn't be fun i guess, because it is not a pure racing game it is a hybid that's why it is fun... for me

3. lars131

lars131 Guest

I have to say mario kart DS was a really nice addition to the mario kart series, i bought it a while ago and feel really good i did :) Blue shell is normal, its like many things, if you dont have it you hate it, if you have it you cheer :) Mario kart wouldnt be Mario kart without the red shells, Hell, MARIO wouldnt be mario without those koopa troopas with those shells, i would go with yes, they are hard to dodge, but once u got how to dodge them you will think its really easy

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Also, doesn't anyone know that the computer is now a massive cheater? Seriously, I'm sure they move faster than what is possible in that mode when they're behind you.

5. kme92

kme92 Well-Known Member

I've always noticed that, but It always makes it more of a challenge

6. darky000

darky000 Well-Known Member

There's no fair in racing with power-ups.

When you are 1st, items you get are defensive types to keep other karts behind you from outrunning you while other karts have offensive types. If you haven't notice the banana item can block shells thrown at you if you keep it tailed at your back. Also, karts near the last place gets imba items for them to catch up.

No improvement is needed. Enjoyed it much but those cheaters on wi-fi are killjoy. -_-

7. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

My brother would get into manic rages because of that, he managed to smash his touch screen in frustration once then vowed to never play the game again... XD
    The blue shell is a bit too potent, that’s all I’d really change about the game.

8. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

Mario Kart DS's balance is okay until you bring snaking onto the playing field. With snaking, a maximum of 7 karts and 3 characters are viable for competitive play. It completely ruined the game.

Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Super Circuit had the best balance as far as items are concerned. The spiked shell travelled along the ground and actually helped the person in 8th place because it would follow the entire track until it found the leader, hitting anyone stupid enough to be in its path. The stun from it was no more than a green or red shell, too.

Double Dash and MK Wii are the absolute worst as far as items go. MKDS has nothing on those two.

9. darky000

I'd rather go for an extra item that can block incoming shells for a short time. Timing is still needed.

10. Suiseiseki

It's called three shells, a banana, any single koopa shell, or a trick box. Just have to use them correctly.

11. darky000

Nothing can block Blue Shell, I should have been more specific. A barrier item that can also block like lightning strike. I've seen this defensive item from almost all race with power-ups. (e.g. Crash Bandicoot Racing, Crazy Kart, etc.)

The star item in mario kart is a rare that can't be gotten by the first place kart anyway to become a defense for karts ahead.

12. Suiseiseki

I hear you can avoid Blue Shells in Double Dash, but it is deep magic.

13. darky000

Really? I've got to try that.

Double Dash = Power Slide OR

Double Dash = Mushroom Item?

or you meant something?

14. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Double Dash = Gamecube’s Mario kart

Here’s how

15. xelados

Spiny Shells can be avoided in Mario Kart DS, also. My FAQ outlines it: http://faqs.neoseeker.com/Games/DS/mario_kart_ds_mech.txt

It's a sharp mini-turbo and a bunny hop done just before it hits. I've done it countless times, making a lot of people on Wifi disconnect. :3

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

SNES mario kart wasn't as balanced as you might think, I have it. Sure there's no blue shell, but the computer controlled players have infinite items, not just picked up ones. Mario and luigi have infinite green shells, bowser drops fireballs that knock you out for a period (same as getting hit by a shell), yoshi drops eggs, and princess drops mushrooms (that also do the same as a shell). koopa has bananas.

17. xelados

Actually, Toad and Peach had mushrooms, Bowser had a fireball, Koopa Troopa laid shells on the track, the Mario Bros used stars, DK Jr. dropped bananas, and Yoshi dropped eggs.

Despite that imbalance, the AI wasn't rubberband-ey, so you could easily outrace them and stay ahead, rendering the items pretty worthless.

18. JynxJester

JynxJester Well-Known Member

Wi-Fi was killed by snakers, and once you've done everything in single player... Wi-fi is the only thing left.

Its not that I MIND snakers, its that I could never fully mater it myself, so I was always left out.

19. theprins

theprins Member

I know that you get the defensive items when you are ahead and that is what bugs me, I just think it should be random for everyone and if that means getting several shit items in a row, so be it, as long as it's fair.

And the blue shell serves no purpose, it requires no skill and I'm not happy when I get it, there is plenty of other useful items you can use when you're last. Lightning, cannon ball, star etc. If you are last you probably made a huge mistake and you shall suffer for it! :)

They should release a new edition anyway, it has some years on it.

20. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

The person in the last position usually gets good items to balance out the game, so that he may try to catch up. Also you do know that if you stay behind a person too long and you get a boost of acceleration. If you are too afraid of getting hit by a blue shell then maybe try staying in 2nd position and have a stock of mushrooms to finish the race towards the end