1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mario Kart DS - overrated?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by n0thealthy, Sep 27, 2008.

1. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do you guys find it wrong too that Mario Kart DS is the highest rated DS game on Metacritic and GameRankings?

It's really not that good.

The DS has far better games...

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

It's awesome, if you've played all the previous versions on GBA, N64 etc. Diddy Kong Racing is just the same really.

3. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Not racing ones, Mario Kart is the best racing game on the DS. And it's hella fun to play on Wi-Fi

4. n0thealthy

Best racing, possibly: GRID's giving it a run for its money. Best altogether, no. The thing that really bugs me is that on a console with unique, innovative features (dual-screen, touch screen, microphone), the highest rated game is a remake of a racing game, which uses none of them. What about all the fantastic original games: The World Ends With You, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Trauma Centre, etc.?

5. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Not innovative, but incredibly good. Maybe there are better games, but Mario Kart DS is fantastic.

6. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

i got to fully agree with you

7. n0thealthy

My point exactly. There are better games. It's not the best game for DS, which is why I'm annoyed that every critic seems to think it is.

8. anandjones

It's definitely not the best game. Guess since it's a Nintendo made game.

9. adriskrayzee

adriskrayzee Well-Known Member

One of the best racing games on the Nintendo DS. Although the gameplay is broken, snaking can be abused like hell, that is why you dont wanna go online, its really frustrating.

10. darksynyster

darksynyster Well-Known Member

That is actually the only reason to play it. I found it to be boring playing it by myself, but when I played with my friends using Wi-Fi it was pretty fun.

11. lilblkridinhood

lilblkridinhood Well-Known Member

to me mario kart, is fun with a lotta people, boring by yourself, and it is over rated, but i guess its rated so high cause of the Wi-Fi, but overall it's a great game, a game that should be on your flashcart at all times, even if you never play it.

12. Skambu

Skambu Well-Known Member

Mario Kart DS is a great game.
    With loads of great tracks, characters, karts etc.

Also, the reason it's the top game, is because it appeals to everyone, and that it's a pick up and play experience.

=D

13. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

I think when it was reviewed also there weren't many games out. (Was it close to release?) So they didn't have as much to compare it to. And I guess it does get that 'nostalgia' factor to bump it up a few points.

14. n0thealthy

Original DS was released in November 2004 in NA and Mario Kart DS November 2005, so no it wasn't close to the release.

15. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Ah okay one year of games. Which also is a bit different then our now four years of games.

16. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

It's not overrated. It is very fun for the first two weeks. Those two weeks are definately not overrated. But after it gets boring unless you go on wifi which is very fun... so if u dont have wifi then it will bore you.

17. leafpanda

leafpanda Active Member

Yeah this game was out before most of the games you list that are better. I agree that they are better but this was an early DS game.

18. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Yes, DS is coming out with much better games like Disgaea, and Chrono so it is hard to say Mario Kart is the best game.. but at a time i would say it was one of the best

19. anandjones

Not even the same genre though.

20. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

It's probably the best racing game for the NDS. The one thing that keeps me playing for hours on end is the Wi-fi Connection. Now if they only had a headset + mike addon and we're set :) .