1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Manual, or automatic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mds64, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

He's one I've been meaning to post, basically, I was thinking about my car, and I thought...who else believe manual is "macho" ;D

Not only that, but on most cars it gives a slight power increase (something farther told me), slight fuel usage reduction, and generally it teaches you how to drive-not just to accelerate and brake :)

Funny enough, except in maximum tune and initial d, I play racers with auto-no advantage XD

For those who lack a car-games will do fine, or anything else with auto/manual options.

Like lock on systems, or missle types (I prefer dumb fire rockets to lock on missiles-spam those XD)

So, what do you prefer, more control or simplified laziness?

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Auto cause I'm a lazy person :p

3. marcy

marcy Guest

depends...

Auto, if it works fine

If not, I'll handle it myself

I like to use auto on racing games, because I need to concentrate on driving.
    But I manually hit the R1 key in FF8, because I don't need any inexactness while fighting.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Manual is much harder to drive for me. Part of my disability impairs my thinking times, and the speed at which I can process sequences of actions, meaning I have great difficulty in a manual at times (when approaching a junction/intersection, for example) and no problem at all most of the rest of the time. Therefore I am better off driving an automatic, despite the fact that 99% of the cars in the UK are manual.

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Manual all the way, driving an automatic is much too boring. :)

That said, automatic gear does not suffer from any power loss, the technology is sufficiently advanced, usually a double shift is used that shifts gear a lot faster and seemless than manual thus actually giving a power boost.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You sound like a mate of mine, though being epeleptic is a bit worse (having a seisure while driving is a scary one..) ...he's also a bit slow minded (not far off from me-we went to the same school) so he'd struggle...plus a general lack of confidence stemming from all the normal crap we'd get.

I'm much surprised myself about the fact I drove manual, maybe it's because of the fact that for once in my life I wanted to try things to hard way...

It's more watching out for cars crashing into me than shifting gears-like an arcade game I mastered it.
    Ever went from 4th gear to reverse at 80Km's-I have-NO IDEA how I done that, all I knew is the poor cry was crying :(

So yeah...basically I have poor reaction time-sounds work fine but seeing a car dart infront of me...well if it takes you 30 seconds to realise "hang on-he almost killed me-maybe I SHOULD HIT MY HORN!" then practice is needed...

Only a few games actually have benifits with manual, daytona has extra speed, initial d (older versions) to do a little trick with the shifter, and maximum tune because the auto gears shift far too slowly.

Plus a little over rev can help recover during some turns.

I should have guessed XD

My car is 2001, and I driven a auto version, it felt weak...sure it wasn't lowered like mine but there was a power differance.

7. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

i'm been driving manual sicne i got my license...... so manual?

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

um......i prefer automatic just because it's easier.

but if i absolutely have to, then i will drive a manual.

i don't drive them that much, but when i do i always have trouble getting them going, but once i get past that then i'm fine.

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Prehaps your getting rusty, practice makes perfect :)

10. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

true!! though i have only driven manual a few times! everything else that's manual that i have driven are like atvs and a couple of tractors........so i'm not too good at driving a manual on the road..... :(

11. Reider

Reider Modereider

Automatic.

I'm lazy and stuff. I was never fond of handling sticks either. Not surprising that Seph likes it though.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If not for what I heard in some of the various old topics, I would have been lost on the Seph-stick part ::)

I just pretend the stick is someone I'm trying to carve a knife thru-rough and jagged-but with persision XD

It's more fun during turns...if your going faster enough you loose grip and slid just a tad-but scary on rainy days :(

13. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

Auto !
    Manual make me tired and I will lose my energy before hang out :p

14. sylky0604

sylky0604 Well-Known Member

manual, I need to be in control

15. jbsucks

jbsucks Guest

Are we talkin about racin' games or the real thing? In any case I always (in games) drive without any assistance (anti-lock, understeer etc) and of course with manual transmission because I got some reel skillz when it comes to drivin'. /brag

And outside the gaming world I got a SAAB 9000 with manual there too. And in this dimension I preffer having all safety systems online :p

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

As I said above, it can be absolutly anything, if you lack a car games, or lock on systems in some games...

Nice car btw :)

But for the games...the only assistance I'd use is automatic gears, all that other crap makes it hard to drift, which helps getting around corners when your going to fast XD

17. maggiemaymay

maggiemaymay Well-Known Member

Automatic. I prefer to concentrate on the road instead of when to shift.

18. Ankranoth

Ankranoth Member

I prefer and Manuel over anything. :) A fully hydraulic system is the best though!

19. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

Manual for sure,

My Dad let me try his automatic after passing my test and I thought wtf too easy!, automatics are definitely more relaxing though.

20. z4in

z4in Active Member

depends on the car you drive but i prefer manual.