1. This forum is in read-only mode.

MAME cabinet building

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steviemb, Jul 19, 2009.

1. steviemb

steviemb Member

Hi
    Is anyone on here into MAME and MAME cabinet building ?
    I am currently finishing off a "mini" MAME cabinet.
    It is about 4ft high, 19" screen running a P4 pc and currently has approx 5000 games on it and is running from the maximus arcade front end. (the best MAME front end ever)
    Still needs to be painted, and have a top and back fitted and the control deck needs laminating !!!

Here is a piccy or two of it so far...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve

2. head635

head635 Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the old soviet cabs :D , how did you decide on that weird layout for the buttons ?

by the way good job on the bezel :)

did you build it on your own ?

3. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I always wanted to do something like that for years, but I really don't have the room or the money. I wanted to do something similar to the Neo Geo MVS machines with a collection of Metal Slug games.

4. head635

There is total of 6 metal slug games on the neogeo "be a ware there is lots of bootlegs of theme"

you don't need to buy a 6 slot "big red" you can buy any cab and a 6 slot neogeo and carts :) "altoue 6 slots are a bit unreliable"

just make shure the board and carts fit in the cab :)

5. steviemb

steviemb Member

Yeah built it on my own, all 15mm MDF. There is lime green laminate under the metal mesh on the front panel and blue neons in the mesh under the control deck(you cannot really see the mesh on the pics)
    The layout for the buttons was determined mainly by lack of room next to the joysticks !
    The maximus arcade front end can also run emulators and a jukebox.
    Will post more pics once I have airbrushed the cab.
    Thanks for the comments.
    Steve

6. head635

You know you could have made a 6 button capcom style layout

what sticks/buttons are you using ?

7. steviemb

steviemb Member

The keyboard encoder loom would only allow a 5 "action" button connection.
    The Joysticks came off a JAMMA cab (cost me about £8 for the pair from ebay) the buttons are new microswitched arcade buttons and cost about £1 each. Not sure what make they are.
    I also had to have proper P1 + P2 buttons !! The 4 black buttons under the screen are the MAME admin buttons.
    Works like a treat.

8. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

iim building a MINICAB it is still being assembled and waiting to buy rom/chd set.
    it will use a 19" lcd most likely and a relativly old sony vaio running tiny xp monster most likely or an Nlite modded xp.

it will sit on a cabinet allowing me to store stuff beneath. everything should fit into the minicab and i will post specs later. will use custom control layout actually the most confusing part. and the front end and individual game configurations.

9. head635

Here's a tip:(keep the control panel simple)

1-Less is more, meaning use a six button layout

2-don't over do it by putting a trackball or a steering wheel and pedals

most people go wrong by trying to cover ALL the games (then it looks horrible) so it dosen't end up like this one ;D

[​IMG]

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Nice work :)

I should make this my hobby!

11. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

That's a really nice one :eek:

Finish your Master Gundam first =3=

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Aww crap your right :(

Next weekend...I didn't even vacum my room as planned ethier.

13. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

http://www.arcadecab.com/Control_Panel.htm
    similar to this. no trackball right now. and i dont think i'll need that 3rd stick if i use the new ones that you push in and turn to switch between 4 and 8 way. i can't find the .pdf online but i will post specs later. it is essentially a cube right now.

that photo is horrendous it doesn't look useable based on the controls being on the sides.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    mine is no looker. was built more for function, + i only have a power drill, everything else is handmedown saws and stuff. aka semi functional.
    http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s75/feelingwalnut/MAME%20Cabinet/
    im farther along now, unit is a full cube front is waiting for the monitor so i can cut to fit, power strip is mounted. on my side is having been an electrician for 8 years and -always- having done electronic work and pc work at home. carpentry, not so much. ~note that all the lumber was free from my stockpile, biggest design consideration, amount of lumber~

14. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

whut is cabinet building?? is someone would explain it to me?

15. head635

Simply you make an Arcade Cab from scratch using wood or metal

16. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

ohh...i see. like i have an old NES, connect it to TVs and make arcade box and put it with the TC so it's like an arcade system...?

17. head635

something like that :)

whats a TC ? (did you mean TV)

18. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

cabinet building is something carpenters do for rich people that order custom cabinets for whatever purpose.

it is what everyone says. building arcade machine housing's . included in this is all the custom bits. "guts"
    ~~if you have a NES and put it on the tv in an arcade box, you'll have an arcade cabinet acting as a entertainment center (commonly called a tv stand)~~

with that said. there is 3 parts to this, that you can be proud of if you do any of the three.
    1.Building the cabinet (even if it's used for holding flowerpots)
    2. assembling all the electrical componants (even if they collect dust)
    3.doing all the software work (has to be a finished product/complete)
    you can throw making designs in there, but many are copied and if your like me. it was all done in my head with some numbers scribbled here and there. all based on the one set of plans.