1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Making your own forum??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wbslider, Feb 4, 2010.

1. wbslider

wbslider Guest

Ok, so i am thinking about making my own forum with just like release lists and rom lists ect like all legal. However i just want some suggestions. Like should i like phpbb or smf or some of the other ones. And If you mention another one can you please tell me the steps on building it...

Thanks.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

smf, phpbb is extremely insecure.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

SMF is preety good, I used both...smf also looks nicer...and for me loads a slight quicker :p

Making a forum is easy, but for a beginner just mess with making sections, boards in each (ie general section has a introduction, social chat and annoucments board) and then once you get the persmissions set up (ie who can do what, will you allow anyone to lock a topic, or just to mods, or admins) then gather some people, and make some moderators to help watch the fourms grow.

Also I'd suggest noth bothering with the extra features of the SMF forums like arcade or gallery, too much to bother with and to maintain/watch/get settings right.

Keep it simple and from time to time, experiement (but have the site on maintance mode or do some work during the quiet times or you might mess with people's minds when you move sections :p )

4. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

Man I want to try, but I'm too busy, and I must learn to make this stuff since I want to take Web Design as major at university :(
    Aw man...

5. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Wut?
    are you a man?

Go with SMF, it's better.
    but, learn how to use it first before take any members.