1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Majora's Maks or Ocarina of Time for N64

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by houstontx224, Apr 23, 2010.

1. houstontx224

houstontx224 Well-Known Member

Do these games have to be played in order? Or are they 2 seperate gmaes? Think I'm goin gto take on the task of playing them and wanted to kno which one is played first/ came out first? Thanks in advance.

HoustonTX224

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they are completely separate and unrelated. OOT was first though.

3. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Er, what. The way I understand it, Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time.

4. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I think what he means is that you don't NEED to play OoT to understand Majora's Mask, but I'd definitely recommend playing OoT first, since it uses all of the same characters, but in an alternate reality-esque way.

I'd also play OoT first to get used to how the games are played. The 3-day time limit is enough to make the game's learning curve kinda steep if you don't know how to play already.

5. Loonylion

ive never seen a connection between the two, granted I never got very far into MM.

6. houstontx224

houstontx224 Well-Known Member

I definitely aprreciate the assistance. My son was actually trying to give me a heads up about that 3 day time limit thing. WOW..looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Thanks 2 all that replied. Going to be a late night with this one.

7. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

You... don't need to. I mean, seriously, the opening narration and the fact that Link already had the Ocarina of Time didn't ring any bells?

8. Loonylion

I don't think I even noticed that, its a long time since I played it. the time limit thing pissed me off so much I just stopped playing after an hour or so and never went back.

9. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

In terms of timeline, yes. In terms of opening story, no. All it says in the beginning is that Link went on an epic quest and sealed away all evil forever, and now he's on a quest to find a friend. Therefore, Looneylion is correct in that you can play the game seperately from OoT and still enjoy it. That said, Looneylion is wrong in assuming that they are not linked.

There is no time limit. Just play the Song of Time. And if you want even more time per day, play the song of time doubled. It'll slow the flow of time significantly. I always use it =D
    (Song of time ------------- C-Right, A, C-Down, C-Right, A, C-Down)
    (Song of time doubled -- C-Right, C-Right, A, A, C-Down, C-Down)

10. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

True, but anybody who played OoT knows that 'friend' was really Navi.

I liked the 3 day limit. It was a decent way to add some challenge, made things more interesting too with all the events made possible due to it.

11. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

fail XD I forgot. haven't played either game in years. Must...play...

Exactly. It wasn't so much a limit as it was a timeline for things to happen within the game. By the end of it (Bomber's Notebook and all), you realize exactly how much one person can change in just three days.

12. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

WTH, there was a song to slow time? No wonders why I never was able to beat the game with normal methods D:

Still I hate majoras. Even if in theory you save multiple people and do diferent events every vilage. Everything "resets" after you restart from the first day with the song of time.

I find annoying to see all the events that you did to go to waste, even if you don't need to repeat then after beating the main dungeon.

13. red_12

red_12 New Member

definitely play ocarina of time first, it's a absolutely amazing game and majoras mask is it's direct sequel (and not nearly as good in my opinion) so to fully understand the story line and get the full n64 zelda experience, play ocarina of time first :)

14. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

Oops. Messed up the song. It's actually reversed, not double. The Double one speeds up time.
    (Song of time doubled -- C-Right, C-Right, A, A, C-Down, C-Down)
    (Song of time reversed - C-Down, A, C-Right, C-Down, A, C-Right)
    It is very much possible to play through the game without the Song of Time Reversed, but it makes it a hell of a lot harder.

Not exactly.
    1. You have record of the people you help in your bomber's notebook.
    2. Yeah, so you lose your items and money after you save. However, you can deposit money at the bank teller before you save. This'll also help you build up a nice chunk of money.

That's the point. You have the remains of each boss, and that shows that you beat them. What I love about this game is that I can replay any boss battle I want. OoT lacks this.

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I though OoT was okay as far as Zelda games go. Majora's Mask was phenomenal for me, the setting, characters, and masks made it great for me. Also getting the Fierce Deity Link Mask was so rewarding, and I loved that the game had so many little secrets and it's story lines are the darkest in a Zelda game, by far.

16. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

^ exactly. OoT started off the 3D series, but MM set the mood.

I love the twin blade!!! =D