1. This forum is in read-only mode.

looking for information to learn how to patch!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bekcy, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bekcy

bekcy Member

Hiya.
    Although I could have missed the right Topics/Posts, - I cant find much info. on how to apply patches.

At the moment I am working on adding a patch to Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games (all the pre-patched rom sites I can find are now unavailable and I've never patched before).

I've got as far as downloading a fix, and when unpacked it comes in the form of a folder containing:-
    xdelta.exe
    XDelta GUI.exe
    Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games Fix.

I have also downloaded a good rom ready to apply the fix to. But I'm not sure where to put things.

Until I can get sorted with a more updated card, (I'm using the R4 with the v1.18 and Y.SMenue), and the way things are heading now it's something I'd like to get my head around, - so any pointers would REALLY be appreciated with not only the above query but with patching advice in general!!!!!!
    Thankyou :)

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I just pm'd you something that is nice! ;)

3. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Put your game and pathces into one folder and run XDelta GUI.exe

Then select you rom, .nds file

Then Select patch, Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games Fix

And apply patch

4. bekcy

bekcy Member

thanks jhon... -I'm having a little trouble though.
    I put everthing into a folder and went to run the - XDelta GUI.exe.
    I first tried running it under the default - Current user (DELL-E354.........), with and without ticking the- Protect my computer and data from unauthaurised programme activity box.
    All i'm getting is...- The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000135). Click OK to terminate the application.
    I've also tried ticking the Following User box, which is still called the Administator, but cant ever remember making a password so have nothing to put in that section!!.
    When I first downloaded the patch and rom (I used jhons links), because I did'nt know what I was doing, I just tried bits and pieces.... Could this effect anything???
    I would really like to get my head round this patching lark......... So any ideas please??????

5. Jhon 591

If you click right on the program you should run as Administator, but if its got a password, o sh*t what could it be, was your pc setup by someone or your self?

I hate windows vista, well 7s not so bad but just as cloged

Just a thought If you know anyone with windows xp, put your files onto a usb flash drive or storage device and give it a go on there system

6. bekcy

bekcy Member

Thanks jhon, I don't like Vista either but it's actually a Windows XP Professional 1 I'm using.

It was bought 2nd hand and theres no way of asking the last owner!!!!-. Exactly- oh sh*t!!!!.
    Is there anyway I could either make, remake a password. But like I say- I clicked on the default:- Administator........, any ideas why that didn't work ( I haven't got any other name programmed to use).
    A little confused and worried that I'm not going to be able to patch games full stop!!!!!!

7. Jhon 591

Big tip, Keep booting the original (US) game on ysmenu, and it will overcome the save problem...

See if a friend has a orignal windows xp disc with serial, backup your software and files onto usb flash drive or dvd disc

How to install from scratch

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm

Then after a fresh install of XP, first thing to do is to install an anti virus program befor instaling any software this is just advice

Or look on google

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ei=dPZFS5WpD8X94AaTxuXuAg&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAgQBSgA&q=windows+xp+forgotten+password&spell=1

8. bekcy

bekcy Member

thanks jhon
    I've had a brief look at the forgotten password link you put up,... nice one.
    It's getting late now though and I've heavy eyes lol, - but going to look into your advice as soon as.
    I'll let you know how I get on,
    fingers crossed!!!!!!!!

9. bekcy

bekcy Member

Right.......
    Regarding the above password issue..........
    I clicked the given link and looked into some sites regarding the issue.
    After reading a few things I THINK!!! I do only have the one Current User, although I'm not 100% sure.
    I followed advice of going to the Run on my comp. and entering Control Userpasswords2, and the only user name that came up was the Administator, under the group - Debugger Users; Administators. (Not that I understand what a Debugger User is!!)
    Sorry if I've gone outside peoples knowledge, but does it sound like my computer does just have the one user???
    It's just confused me a little cos when trying to run the XDelta GUI.exe patch, and couldnt under Administrator, there was a:- Following user option underneath allready named Admin. with a password box underneath.
    It's maybe just a case of it being a currupted patch, but if anyone has any different ideas, I would gladly listen to any pointers and look deeper into the issue.
    Just want piece a mind I have the ability to patch!!!

10. Jhon 591

The patch dose work on windows XP, Mabe you need to someone who can do you a clean install of windows XP and get the correct drivers for your hardware, and backup your data so you don't lose your files

And don't pay £50 , what a rip of..., If you know what you are downing and it can be done in a few hour about 1-2 hour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.