1. This forum is in read-only mode.

looked all over: not sure what i am looking for, so not sure where to look: HELP

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Guidou, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guidou

Guidou Member

I have successfully downloaded NDS ROMs for my kids in the past but have just recently downloaded a few games that don't work. I am using an R4 cartridge and have the latest firmware for the chip (v. 1.18). I have scoured this site (and others!) looking for a solution to making these games work. Some of the games include Age of Empires Mythologies (can't access save data) , Elite Beat Agents (game indicates loading - but freezes on black screen), Gardening Mama (game indicates loading - but freezes on white screen), to name a few. I have downloaded a r4tf.dldi (or some such) file, and an arm7.bin file as several people and sites suggested, but i have no idea what to do with them.

If ANYONE has any ideas, suggestions, solutions, magic potions for me, i would LOVE to hear from you! Although i am quite computer literate, this stuff just seems to escape me.

I appreciate everyone's ... anyone's ... time! I also apologize if i have posted this in the wrong area! I couldn't quite figure out how to do that either!

2. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

What you have to do to get those working, is an arm7 patch. I'll explain. The R4 firmware is kinda outdated and so some newer games don't work (because the R4 team stopped releasing new firmware).
    The specific part of the game that doesn't work is the arm7.bin file, so you need to replace the one in the rom with the one you downloaded. This might not fix all the games you listed but I think it should. You need to get a program called DSBuff. You need to use this to open up ("unpack") the rom and find the arm7.bin file and replace it with your one. Then you need to "repack" it using the same program. Then it "should" work, but no promises. I realise this is quite a long winded explanation, but you seem smart enough. If this doesn't work, or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. :D

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

The DLDI is for homebrew. ARM7 patching is covered in the Common Issues https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0 :)

4. Guidou

Guidou Member

:-*Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I downloaded DSBuff (had to d/l .net frameworks too). Figured out the process very quickly on how to replace the ARM7.BIN file. I succesfully fixed Gardening Mama and Elite Beat Agents.

I was not successful with (3195) Age of Empires - Mythologies. I followed the same process as with the other two games, but i still get the "Could not save data. Turn off the power and reinsert Game Card" error when i turn the game on.

Is there something else i can do? ???

Thank you Fredbox and Anandjones for your quick replies!

5. anandjones

I'm positive I have seen that game in many topics, and that it is not compatible no matter what. If you wanted, you could try using the alternative firmware, YSMenu. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164359

6. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Ok, right. I just gave arm7 patching Mythologies a go and it worked. I'd advise trying a different arm7.bin file. Just unpack a rom that already works and take out the arm7 (don't worry, the rom you take it from will be unaffected unless you click pack). Try using that. But Anandjones' suggestion is good too.

7. anandjones

I believe in the Common Issues I wrote to try again with another ARM7 file anyway.

8. Guidou

Guidou Member

Wanted to say thank you again! I did check out the link that was posted by Anandjones to the "Common Issues" section and found that the process for trying to fix that Mythologies game iwas a bit (way too!) involved! I will try taking an arm7.bin file from another game and giving that a try.

If that doesn't work, my son can do without the game! ;)

Thanks heaps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.