1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Lockerbie Bomber Released

Discussion in 'General News' started by branraf, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

Ok im surprised that this aint been made already, and i know i wasnt even alive when the Lockerbie bombings occured but i do know that releasing a mass murderer on grounds of compassion is definitely unfair. The fact the Scottish Government released a terrorist, who killed 270 people on grounds of compassion is not only sick, its also extremely unfair on everyone that took part in the prosecution of this tosser.
    He was released under the order of Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskil on grounds of compassion, he has severe prostate cancer and has only been given 3 months to live. The head of the FBI, the president of ths USA, the PM of the UK and many more important figures have expressed outrage at this.
    The British givernment has said they had nothing to do with his release but have admitted to requesting that Libyan PM Col Gadaffi act "with sensitivity" on the issue. So what does the guy go and do? He gives the convicted mass murderer a hero's welcome and thanks the British and Scottish governments for making "the right decision". The British government have insisted they had nothing to do with his release and the US have criticised the Scottish Parliament for making such a "stupid and harmful decision".
    Now will this give terrorists round the world comfort in knowing if they attack contries that allow "compassion" be shown, they may be able to see their family before they die? Will this increase terrorist attacks?
    Now what do you think of this, was releasing the lockerbie bomber a good thing or should he have been left to rot?

2. Nathan_26

Nathan_26 Well-Known Member

I think its horrible they let him out, and i thought it was sick when they gave him a hero's welcome in libya after killing so many people :( he should be left in jail to die

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

his conviction may not have been correct in the first place, a lot of the evidence was questionable

4. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be hated, but they made the right choice, how they handled the matter on the otherhand was distasteful. As loony said there is a lot of doubt over his conviction, but thats a different matter all together.

you do realise that most Libyans think that he's innocent and was just a scapegoat, they're celebration was no different than the celebration Ronnie Biggs got... but i dont see everybody throwing a hissy fit over that.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

and yet ronnie biggs was guilty beyond doubt to my knowledge. If anything the libyan celebrations should have been more low key because even though the bombing happened years ago, it is still a very sensitive subject on both sides of the atlantic. Innocent or guilty, the guy is now permanently associated with the event as a result of his conviction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.