1. This forum is in read-only mode.

linux

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Almo, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

OK ive heard so much about this OS yet know so little. I did a bit of searching and it sounds great. I may be interested in switching but id like to know more from people who use it. Whether or not certian applications that I use all the time will run is still foggy. I regularly use torrents, the internet, photoshop and all the usuall things. Will these run on linux? or is there a good alternative for these progams? If anyone can fill me in then cheers.
    Cheers in advance guys.

2. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

i know that at least firefox works with linux.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

most windows programs have linux equivalents, and photoshop can be made to run on linux.

4. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

My experience with linux is that working with it is great, but installing and configuring it is more of a problem. Fixing it requires command line knowledge.

And don't use NTFS.

Tip: Get a live-cd to try it.

5. jigglemaster7

jigglemaster7 New Member

Get Ubuntu it's the easiest to use and comes packed with great software the live cd is awesome.

6. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

I would just stick with windows that way you can run just about any program without having to mess with them.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Linux requires far less resources and often have more programs if you're a developer.

It really depends on what you do, casual users and gamers best stay with Windows but more advanced users such as developers or whatnot can benefit from switching to linux.

8. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

cheers guys, my laptop at current runs like a pig, would switching to linux speed it up at all?

9. Loonylion

well no, but it would feel faster and more responsive.

10. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

sounds good to me :) now ive heard of dual booting? how hard is that to set up?

11. Loonylion

involves manually repartitioning your hard disk. Don't do it unless you know what you're doing.

12. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

Partition magic would do the job right?

13. Loonylion

except it's owned by Symantec so it would probably fuck it up.

14. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

@loony, would I have to partition even if its already been done? as im on a laptop it has the C: drive and a D: partition called PRESARIO_RP.

15. Loonylion

D: is a recovery partition, which allows you to restore to factory condition. If you don't mind losing that, then fine.

16. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ um no thanks lol. Is there a linux I can boot without installing? perhaps from a CD or DVD?

17. Loonylion

yes, any live CD distribution.

18. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

cool, thanks heaps.

19. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Isn't there a Ubuntu linux?

20. Loonylion

yes, ubuntu is one linux distribution. theres hundreds of others.