1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Legal ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monter, Sep 2, 2008.

1. monter

monter Guest

I was wondering is it legal to download PSX roms ?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

one word answer: No.

long answer: it is legal to make a backup copy of a disc you own for your own purposes in most countries, it could be argued that most people arent capable of making a backup thus downloading substitutes for that, but don't expect it to stand up in court. The disc lost/broken/stolen defence won't work either.

3. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

But the console has been discontinued, like the NES and SNES, so why isn't it legal?

4. Loonylion

because the games are still under copyright.

5. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

When does the copyright expire?

6. Loonylion

75 years after the death of the copyright holder.

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Damn, that's a quite a bit. :p

8. ultra

ultra Guest

are you for real?! i thought as long as they want until they decide [the company] to make it [the game] public.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Nintendo & every game producing company has no "life", so that 75 year time limit may not be applicable. :-\

10. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

I think NES and SNES' game copyright has expired already, although the copyright holder's death hasn't occurred 75 years ago, if it even has occurred.

11. Loonylion

no, it hasn't expired yet, its just considered abandoned.

ultra: that is the wording of copyright law as it currently stands.

12. monter

monter Guest

so loony how do you explain this 2006-2008 copyright. That stands for how long it is copyrighted for. Thats what my friend says and he works in law.

13. Loonylion

no, that is when it was copyrighted until the present date. Copyright is implied upon creation of an intellectual work and persists for 75 years from the death of the creator.

14. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah sometimes they remove the copyright, which is very rare however. But this shouldn't worry you at the moment, you're doing illegal stuff now :)

15. Trixilver

Trixilver Member

I believe Rockstar made Grand Theft Auto 1 & 2 free to the public, but does that remove the copyright? It isn't the same thing is it?

16. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

No it's not, you cannot take GTA 1 or 2 and then republish it for example, if they had relinquished their copyrights then you could.

17. lilblkridinhood

lilblkridinhood Well-Known Member

man 75 YEARS that's too long, someone would of bought it anywas wouldn't they?

18. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

If it was popular, probably.

19. elk1007

elk1007 Well-Known Member

If a copyright is held by a company, does the actual copyright belong to the president of that company? Or to a list of people?
    If so, it's nice to know I can just bomb nintendo if I want CP free games :p

20. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Belongs to a company, and even if you bomb Nintendo then the company will still exist on paper and thus will the copyright as well.