1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Learning Spanish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damanali, Jun 22, 2010.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Are there any spanish speakers here in RomU?

So, is it hard to learn spanish? I tried translating some sentences with those free online translations but the problem is that they literally translate it word for word, meaning its not arrange in the correct way on how you will speak it... or so i think.

also, when asking questions, there is a upside down question mark, in the start, what does that mean?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

patton speaks spanish and he says its not hard to learn, but then again he's a native speaker.

3. NeoStriker

NeoStriker Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, the way you pronounce the vowels in Spanish is the same as in Japanese.

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I find French to be closer to Spanish, but anyways...

If you REALLY want to learn Spanish, you could always get Rosetta Stone (legally or otherwise). Supposedly that is really good, though I haven't used it myself.

5. Loonylion

yes, there are strong similarities between french and spanish.

6. LuckyTrouble77

My French teacher (who happens to be friends with the Spanish teacher) let us know of the similarities a lot, especially because of the fact that there were a few Spanish speakers in my class.

7. agxthesorrow

agxthesorrow Well-Known Member

you mean this: ¿hola como estas? it just a normal question it's only that we add that first question mark... but is the same as a question in the U.S: How are you?
    i recommend not to use those online translators... they suck honestly....
    Try to appoint yourself to Spanish Classes is not that hard...
    I speak spanish perfectly because i'm latin american... from Venezuela.

8. Loonylion

I dont think the first question mark is language specific at all, I've seen it used in (informal) english, but rarely.

9. agxthesorrow

True However is rarely used... Latin American people use it a lot that's why this user is confused...

10. damanali

So, every question in spanish must be written with a upside down question mark at the beginning of the sentence and end it with a normal question mark? If that is correct, thanks.

And yes, i did enrolled at a spanish class. But i will start in July 1, so i'm learning a bit so i won't suck at first day.

11. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I don't see the significance of that. Lots of languages have similar vowels.

COUGHWEEABOOCOUGH

Also, I don't believe in Rosetta Stone. I believe that traditional teaching methods are more effective.

12. Loonylion

rosetta stone uses traditional methods...

13. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Not really. It doesn't translate any vocabulary or grammar for you. It attempts to teach using only pictures. I personally prefer how schools teach languages.

http://www.rosettastone.com/personal/how-it-works

14. Loonylion

ive used it, its very effective.

15. doughboy

doughboy Guest

I speak spanish....
    also as mentioned Rossetta Stone....

16. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Rosetta stone is actually very simple to use, i just have a hard time comprehending other languages...(no i didn't buy it = pirated. :) )

17. agxthesorrow

Yes you have to use the first question mark... however if you want not to use them, do as you wish but my recommendation to you is to use them it will free yourself from plenty of issues and that is an start on understanding the language.

18. damanali

ok, so, if its an exclamation sentence, i need to do the same with the question but instead of question mark, i will put exclamation mark, right?

thanks for the help!...i'll also get the rosetta stone, if i ever find it.

19. LuckyTrouble77

It is pretty easy to find. If you are into torrents, you can find the language in packs on places like tpb on top of the actual program. If you aren't, then the only route I can really think of is illegal. Plus, I wouldn't use a download manager to get gb's worth of data.

20. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Why would you want to learn spanish? Most countries that speak spanish understand portuguese, since portuguese is about 80% similar to spanish.