1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Learning Japanese

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by Lephantome92, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

Are there any DS games that are useful for learning Japanese? I tried My Japanese Coach, but didn't go too far into it. Is it actually helpful to understand and be able to comprehend (spoken and written) Japanese?

2. miros

miros Well-Known Member

To my understanding, there are no other Japanese learning games for the NDS. If you are serious about learning a new language, then I would highly recommend you look into Rosetta Stone. Best of luck,
    miros

3. Lephantome92

Sadly, I don't have money to buy Rosetta Stone, and the computer I use doesn't have sound. If there's a way to download it for free, and if there's any way to put it on my M3 DS Real with Sakura (which probably will epically fail), I'd be overjoyed, but as far as I can assume, it won't work at all. :'(

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

There is an illegal way to get it for free. It isn't that difficult. Without sound though, you're out of luck. It is a learning program completely based around what you hear and see. There is no version that will work on anything but an actual computer.

5. PeachMilk

PeachMilk Well-Known Member

There are no other Japanese learning games in English. There are Japanese games that help with kanji, but if you're not at that level yet then there's no point in trying those.

If you're still learning kana (Hiragana / Katakana ) I suggest playing these. Don't need sound for it. It's simple and helped me learn kana.

Hiragana Drag-n-Drop
    Katakana Drag-n-Drop

I've been through My Japanese Coach a couple times, but I already knew kana and some kanji before using it. So it didn't help too much for me except with some phrases and grammar. I'm sure it'll be helpful to you, though. You may have to repeat a couple lessons more than once to get the full effect. I suggest not only using My Japanese Coach, though, obviously.

If you need more internet references for learning Japanese, feel free to send me a PM.

6. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

What if you plug in earbuds or something?

7. Lephantome92

I'm using a laptop with windows vista. Well, the screen went berserk, and the only way to actually use it is to attach a seperate monitor, and use it in safe mode. But, in safe mode, not even plug-in speakers work, so I'm sunk with that.
    Post Merge: [time]1279062421[/time]
    Ok, for the DS, all I found was Japanese Coach, and Mind Your Language. Which is the better decision among 2 evils?

8. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

9. Lephantome92

Is there a really good place online to learn the Japanese words and spellings (i.e. if they're in Kanji, how to pronounce them with Hiragana)?

10. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

11. Lephantome92

Haha and thanks for all the links!!
    Oh, Hiragana and Katakana are hard for me to just say which is which, other than, to me, Katakana is sort of simpler strokes. Kanji, on the other hand, is borrowed Chinese characters. If you want to see what Hiragana and Katakana are like, just look at the links PeachMilk supplied!!

12. EntropicKitty

EntropicKitty Well-Known Member

Mind Your Language is good for ro-maji... It's how I learned the basic stuff I know now, but ro-maji isn't useful for much except learning to actually SPEAK Japanese. I'd recommend it to get you started though, then move onto the alphabets.

Also: My Japanese Coach is alright for learning to read and write basic Japanese... Give it a chance. Though to be honest I'm actually going to pay for tutoring because I need someone to actually give me feedback on how I'm going with pronunciation and tell me that my handwriting is awful. Haha

13. Lephantome92

Does anybody still have a rom of Coach? I can't find the one I downloaded here, and I can't find a working one elsewhere.

14. EntropicKitty

EntropicKitty Well-Known Member

I do... I think... PM me your email addy and I'll send it.

15. Lephantome92

Thank you, but I somehow managed to find a working rom of Coach. Thanks for the consideration though, EntropicKitty