1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Kirby Canvas Curse White Screen with R4DS

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by WinRAR, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Hi all,

Before I updated my R4's Firmware (from the old 1.18 FW to the ported R4i FW 1.23), all my games worked, and if they didn't, it was a problem with the ROM (arm7 patching and downloading from another site fixed any problems).

However, now Kirby: Canvas Curse (U) doesn't work, even if I download the ROM from another site.
    It just ends up a white screen.

This confuses me, as:
    1.The newer (official, I might add) firmware is supposed to work with all newer games.
    What, doesn't it work with the older ones, too?
    2.It works with all my other games (including Metroid Prime: Hunters, WarioWare: Touched, New Super Mario Bros., Kirby Superstar Ultra, etc.).

Would arm7 (Max Cross Method/DSLazy, etc.) fix this? I doubt it, as that's for save files....

I'll try the "Disable Save" cheat that comes with the R4i FW (a plus, since R4 1.18 didn't come with (USR)CHEAT.DAT), but, if I can't save, what's really the point in playing?

Anyway, in case that doesn't work, can somebody add up some suggestions?

Thanks,
    WinRAR.

2. miros

miros Well-Known Member

Well, it seems to me that the best course of action would be to downgrade to the older firmware. If anything try holding down the a button when loading the game...or go though the painstaking process of re-installing the new firmware again. Best of luck!
    miros

3. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I'd go back to firmware 1.18 if I were you.

4. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Question:

How do I do that?

I can't just 'drag-n-drop' the older FW to the card; that's how the card got messed up in the first place!

So, you telling me I have to back up all my files to Ubuntu, re-format the card to FAT32 (I have a 2gb SanDisk MicroSD that came with my R4) - in Windows - and copy everything back - again?! Oh yeah, and that last step I have to do in Ubuntu, because Windows has virtually no space left.**

*sigh*...
    sometimes I hate myself for getting into all of this.

Oh yeah, and where can I find cheats for all my games? I understand that the R4 has issues with cheats because it can't handle over 800 games? Well, I don't have 800 games (I don't even think 100...), so is there a way I can edit out the games I don't have? And which does the R4 use: CHEAT.DAT or USRCHEAT.DAT?

EDIT 1: I forgot to mention, The Legendary Starfy (U) hangs on a white screen after selecting a level. I managed to get past 1-1 and 1-2 (levels), but after I saved and quit, the next time I played, white screen on levels.
    Is this anti-piracy? Is there a cheat to get past it?

Thanks,
    WinRAR.
    **That's a lot of dual booting!

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Just backup, format, reinstall the original firmware, put the ROMs and saves etc. back, if overwriting the files doesn't work (which should). Other than the fact that the firmware is from a different team, that may be the case. Cheats can be found at http://cheats.gbatemp.net/, just grab the usrcheat.dat from there. The R4 firmware does contain a bug for that, it is covered in the Common Issues. https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=1462.0 The Legendary Starfy does not contain anti-piracy protection, just use 1.18 if need be, it works fine.

6. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Thanks for the links!

Hmm, I'll try Starfy again, but I remember it didn't work in either FW...

We'll see.

Oh, and I thought the R4 team became the R4i team? And now they're just porting their stuff?

I didn't know the two were completely different teams...?

EDIT 1: The link to cheat.gbatemp.net is no longer valid; apparently, that domain no longer exists? I get a 404 error. I Googled it; the correct link is: http://cheats.gbatemp.net/

EDIT 2: Nope, Starfy still doesn't work. I guess I'll try downloading from yet another site; where (besides RomUlation) could I download it? unnamed still doesn't have it, and I don't like it there, anyway.

7. anandjones

Ah, the gbatemp link had the , on the end, you just had to remove it. We are not allowed to post other romsites as per the Forum Rules;

[quote author=Rules] - No posting other (competing) ROM sites. Really it makes sense, one electronics store don't tell you to go to another store, they place an order for your item.[/quote]

The ROMs here are fine. Which firmwares did you try playing Starfy in?

8. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Ah, well, not all the ROMs here work for me.

For example, WarioWare: Touched was white screens at boot, downloaded from another site, works.
    Kirby Superstar Ultra, same.
    And now The Legendary Starfy. Just downloaded from another site last night, works.

So, yeah, while I had to downgrade to 1.18, I also had to download from another site (which, for some reason, they had two links to the same game... ???

Oh, and the Quote from Rules: actually, I've had some Electronics stores do that, they tell me to try another place that is actually their competitor.
    Guess that's not a very good example, huh?

EDIT: Oh, and now I'm having another problem regarding Moonshell 2.05 Stable... read about (and post, please!) here: Moonshell 2.05 locked my SD card. :(

9. anandjones

Still not the ROM, it is the flashcart. Also, maybe they are pre-patched or were corrupted in some way? Otherwise they are fine if they're from RomUlation. I know myself that The Legendary Starfy works in 1.18.

Also about the example, it doesn't matter, we expect you to follow them.

10. WinRAR

WinRAR Member

Ah, whatever. Dunno why some ROMs don't work for me from here. I'll just keep doing what I've been doing.

And yes, I will follow the rules, just reviewed them.

Also, totally unrelated, but your picture upsets me for some reason....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.