1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Kingdom Hearts II

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Riversong, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Riversong

Riversong Well-Known Member

Essential Information:
    - What errors appear? Please be exact. The specified Bios file was not found. A bios is required for Pcsx2 to run.

File not found
    Filename: bios

- What game you are trying to run? Kingdom Hearts 2/II
    - What system the game is for? PS 2
    - What emulator are you trying to run? (Or what hardware, in the case of flashcarts). PCSX_0.9.6_binary
    - What are your computer specs? (Operating System, Processor, RAM and Video Card). Windows 7, Intel Core duo 2, unknown, unknown
    - (or Firmware, in the case of flashcarts).
    - Is it a desktop or laptop PC? Laptop HP Pavilion dv4

I have never used this emulator before. I don't use emulators often...once every 5-7 years. I have no idea what I am doing...yeah I know I am a computer idiot. If anyone can help, I would be very appreciative. Gave as much info as I could.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

If it's the first time you are running it, and it's saying it needs to be configured, then you need to configure it.

Go to the Config menu.
    You need a copy of the PS2 Bios (I don't have one readily available, but it's pretty easy to find if you search).
    The emulator comes pre-packaged with enough plugins to get it running.

3. Riversong

Ahh I did not know that. I found the file. Here's hoping it works.
    Post Merge: [time]1294015619[/time]
    Loaded the Bios, and now the game isn't being recogized. It shows "browser" and "system configuration" now. What should I do next?

4. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Are you using disc or an iso to play it?
    Make sure you have configure your Cdvdrom plugin, before running it.

5. Riversong

I got it to work...trouble is I am missing the HP bar (I think), and it runs really slow. Any way I can speed it up (like shrinking the screen, reducing resolution or something like that)?

6. Don9aldo

Don9aldo Well-Known Member

Play it in native resolution; experiment with speedhacks; turn off or lower the quality of the sound.
    Experiment with all the different configurations basically - each game works best with different settings.

As for your problem with the HP bar I can't really help you with that.
    What Video Plug-in are you using?

7. meganova

Since you're using laptop, you can not gain much speed from it, let alone using Speedhacks, since the game may crash, etc.

For the missing HP bar, enable the Logarithmic Z if you're using GSdx plugin.

8. Riversong

I am using a ZeroGS 0.97.1 graphics plug-in. Is this what you are referring to?

9. TirithRR

Go to your Configuration and choose the GSdx graphics plugin. Then configure it, and check the "Logarithmic Z" option. Your health bar will work now.

PS2 emulation requires a powerful PCs, many laptops aren't up to doing it fast.

10. Riversong

It may not be fast, but it works, and the HP Bar is there, and I am using the "Zero" option. Thanks to everyone for their input and help.

IF GSdx will process it a little faster, then I don't mind using it. If not, then cool. Here are the options for GSdx:
    890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.14
    890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE41) 0.1.14
    890 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.14

11. TirithRR

When you start up PCSX2 and the black command box appears in the background, it will tell you what your processor supports as far as SSE2/SSE4.1/SSSE3, etc.

I believe these are instruction sets that your processor can use. When I start it PCSX2 detects them all, but I notice no difference between the three different plugins. I would wager that it really won't matter as long as you choose one that your processor supports.

12. Riversong

ahh ok...well then I will leave it where it is for now and experiment later.

13. meganova

Well, according to the official faq, GSdx perform better than ZeroGS, as it has been updated in terms of both speed and image quality,
    compared to ZeroGS which is outdated, though it can rival GSdx in the coming release.

14. Riversong

OK...I will tinker around and find out what works on my laptop.