1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Kid slashes fellow scholar's throat with samurai sword

Discussion in 'General News' started by grimsim1, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2377983,00.html
    http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2378009,00.html
    http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2380602,00.html

Don't know if anyone ever heard about this story. It happened in my country South Africa. Some kid went to school with a mask on and slashed at another kid with a samurai sword. The thing that annoys me the most is that they are blaming it on the music he was listening to, apparently a band called Slipknot induced him to do this murder. Now I am a metal fan and listen to heavy metal and I can promise you that Slipknot is as satanic as my little five year old cousin. I just find it so stupid that people blame music and games and movies for such things. I mean what happened to just being a psycho????

This guy was obviously a crazy lunatic and you cant blame entertainment for having a mental disorder or for problems at home. What do you think?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

south africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world, its not really surprising. There's one serious crime every 17 seconds in Johannesburg.

3. grimsim1

Yes but you get "Crime Crime" and then you get crime like this. In south africa its common to hear news about people being hijacked, getting burgled. But getting stabbed at school like never happens. The point of my topic is to think about how everyone is blaming this on the music this guy was listening. It's almost coming through as if it was not his fault and he is innocent. Its pretty sad. The media here had a field day with this.

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

That kid is just psycho, they need to stop blaming it on things around them.

5. HumrH360

HumrH360 Well-Known Member

My word, screw the media, they just cant say anything good anymore.

6. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

mabye he was really stressful and felt like killing someone, but i dont think it was b/c of video games

7. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

right, cause we're talking about video games somewhere here?

8. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

even the topic poster mentioned games :| good job littlekill

9. Reider

Reider Modereider

I think his point was that video games weren't being blamed for it, it was the music he was listening to.

10. sla03rs

still games are indirectly linked to this as well since the poster cited that these kinds of media are scape goats of the press and opportunistic people trying to make a name for themselves though yes his music was named as the "source" of the problem :|

11. Littlekill

Littlekill Well-Known Member

Don't even bother, the entire subject of this topic is about a kid attacking people cause he listens to Slipknot.

The games comment has nothing at all to do with it. It's completely his rant.

12. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

oh im sorry i was thinking wrong... well the music i meant

13. sla03rs

*sigh* if only he played bushido blade 1 and 2 this would make sense

14. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

It's not games, TV and music. It's imbeciles that are murdering and blaming it on the media to get out of it...

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Not quite. Modern society does not want to take responsibility for its problems, and games/TV/music are an easy scapegoat. They may well contribute in some cases, but not nearly as many as they are blamed for, and they are never the whole problem. Most of the time the root cause is irresponsible parenting; kids not being taught right and wrong, not being taught how to control themselves, and how to behave in social environments. Other times its' plain intolerance, often encouraged by the bodies around the person, such as churches, gangs, cults etc.

16. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Pffft, I'd kill people if I had to listen to Slipknot, too.

17. grimsim1

Haha Void, good one. But I agree with Loonylion, what he said is entirely true and should be the reason for situations such as this. This particular incident was blamed on music but how many times have you heard the media and officials blaming gaming etc for such violent crimes. I mean i listen to much heavier music than Slipknot and play violent games all the time, yet i'm perfectly sane and do not go about slashing peoples throats.

18. zaghi

zaghi Active Member

Some people get into the lyrics too much and as a result of being mentaly unstable they interpret/hear things in the wrong way.

People always need something to blame. I agree with all the people that said that he was a nut job and thats the end of it...

With regards to games: I'm sure that in the darker reaches of each of our minds (even if we don't admit it) we have all reinacted a scene from GTA (or another game) with regards to a situation in our life. The difference is that normal people just think it for a split second, screwed up peeps do the deed.

19. Void

Void Well-Known Member

My jab aside, if the music is at all related, it's that the kid listened to Slipknot because he was fucked up, not that he was fucked up because he listened to Slipknot. This goes for most other incidents of media blamed for violent attacks between people. Blaming media really is an immature thing to do, because just about everyone uses some form of media now -- music, movies, games, etc. If someone mowed "KILL" into a farmer's crop, would we all be violently affected by eating corn?

Exactly. Fuck you, Jack Thompson, I win.

20. HumrH360

HumrH360 Well-Known Member

...hmm... the media blaming the media... still, screw the media... they can't say anything good nor take it upon themselves for blame

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.