1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Karma System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DragonQuester, Mar 17, 2010.

1. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, there are a FEW people on RomUlation that have no respect whatsoever. I don't want to swear back at them or anything, so I was wondering if we could implicate a karma system (- or +)? It would really work when you agree with someones post ot disagree. 8) Thanks RomU.

DragonQuester

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

While it can be enabled (I have an smf forum) I think it was left off because only a select few would have any real karma ratings-in other words the regulars would get insanely high ratings...

Well that's why i have it off on my forum at least.

3. DragonQuester

That's true. Thanks for your input.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it wasnt really getting used so we disabled it.

5. DragonQuester

Oh it was in RomU before? That makes sense. Thanks Loony

6. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

i think it will be used now

7. DragonQuester

lol is it because there are more 'characters' on RomUlation now? :p

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Well the trolls are gone, the main people are the mods, admins , forum regulars like me, and the irc regulars who drop in every now and then.

9. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

May get abused though with users constantingly spamming positive for a user. Would have to implement a feature for doing it once every so often. ::)

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Yeah, like once per day/week.

IF it get's enabled, but to me it'll just mean bragging rights...I'm fine with my post count anyways :p

11. snebbers

Which no one can see unless they go onto your personal statistics :)
    But yeah you're right... It'd be a way of seeing the favourites of the forums too..

12. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

why not implement something like you could only give 5 karma a day or something

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its much easier to just leave it disabled. We don't need it.

14. snebbers

True but a suggestion is just a suggestion.

15. DragonQuester

lol Whatever Loony says :p

16. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

thats why the post count was removed in the first place... remember, quality over quantity.

17. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I've seen the karma system used by both staff and entire user groups. To be honest, karma being used as a measure of "respectability" only really works when it's just the staff giving the +/- for important work (like good tutorials or amazing posts). Back when I frequented GM they changed the system from that, so we all had the option of giving karma, which we tended to abuse heavily for no real reason (even though it was one karma per day). It just turns into something of a popularity contest, really.

Also, I predict that a few users that frequent the Spam Topic in particular would amass a hell of a lot of karma, and to be honest I hardly ever feel like I should take a lot of those people seriously. Just putting that out there.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree with you on that one, on behalf of the spam regulars...

Not that I would bother with the karma system, I have my own personal system of respect, and it's not to do with my post count ethier :p

19. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I have seen the abuse of the karma system on other forums and I don't really like it myself.

20. DragonQuester

lol Now that I've got a lot of opinions, I'm starting to change my mind about this... Thanks guys! ;D