1. This forum is in read-only mode.

just saw a computer building video...is a processor REALLY that small?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomoka, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

I do not understand how something that small, can do SO much! and also, how does something that small get above 220 degrees?!?! I think this needs to be discussed...like how are the above possible? And also, a lil off topic from what i want to ask..why can't you touch the back of them?

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

Oh

did you seen this already?

micro sd cards, 2 Tera byte

[​IMG]

3. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

o_O
    bet it doesn't go up to 220 degrees though :p
    *tries to find where to buy those*

4. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

photoshop?

5. athemoe

no

this is real

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

7. athemoe

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc

8. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

WOW!

it has
    [​IMG]

9. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I don't know if current card readers can read SDXC. I think awhile back sandisk said you need to get a new external reader (or install a new internal one) for those.

10. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

or if you already have an internal one, a new driver >.> now can we please get back to me topic?...

Maybe my reasoning for this topic will make people reply more :p

for the longest time, i thought that a processor was some sort of long tube-like thing that has different things in it...i always though that because of the mention of cores, and the though it had to have some sort of engine for the speed on it..i know, it shows how much of a non-tech person i am, right?

11. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

The chip itself is even smaller. The ceramic casing on the top of the processing unit contains the chip proper; the pins and such are for interfacing and instructions. The entire chip is smaller than the size of your pinky fingernail and about as thin as a sheet of paper, if not thinner. And then on my processor that in turn contains four cores and a (relatively) large space for memory buffer.

As for why it gets hot, it's a rule of electronics. The entire chip has a fair amount of resistance all up, and if current goes through resistance the extra energy is lost as heat. Considering that the chip handles billions and billions of operations per second, there's going to be significant heat buildup even if the overall energy lost as heat per operation is tiny.

It manages to do all this due to a sort of photo etching process on a tiny silicon chip. I can't remember the specifics, but it's microarchitecture at its finest.

12. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

o_O

i woulda expected a response like that from loony o_O
    Thanks for feeding my knowledge!

13. Suiseiseki

He usually gets in first. I've a similar knowledge base to his.

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

hmmm...nice to know we got more than one smart person here >:D

15. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It's all alien tech anyway *tinfoilhat*

And remember, electricity is just another form of energy. Heat is energy. Blah blah technical info, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it merely changes forms. That 500-1000 watts your PC's power supply is outputting has to go somewhere. Smaller sizes are easier to heat up as well. Put 20 amps through a 2/0 wire, it won't care. Put 20 amps through an 18 gauge wire, you are going to start a fire.

16. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

I really hope these get cheap then some type of flashcart is made for it. I'd have every rom on one little chip.

17. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

yeah, they have gotten a little smaller over the years...

this is an Intel Atom processor, capable of 1.6GHZ from 2007
    [​IMG]

I had a PC from 2000 that was only 700MHZ, and was roughly 5 times the size of this chip

18. Suiseiseki

The chip itself is under the little "Intel" logo. That logo is actually a ceramic casing glued to the processor.

19. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

This I know, but the whole thing is still very small