1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Joining the US military

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tyson_rss, Jul 1, 2010.

1. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

I probally won't get many replies but here goes.

I decided I want to join the military. You have to be 17 and older and I am 17. I heard that you got to have a diploma but I don't think that's entirely true. A friend of mine last year joined and he was a junior..err well I think he went to boot camp but he had the outfit on. Basically I want to know how I join as 17 and if I could earn my diploma while being in the military.

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Well, they can't deploy you until you are out of high school.
    And you can join when you're 17...or 16?...but you just go to boot camp and you train a lot.

If you would have done ROTC in high school, you would be an officer when you would have graduated.

3. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

What's ROTC?

4. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Reserve Officer Training Corps

5. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

Oh what do you do there?

6. MadmanNero

I tried it for about 6 weeks to get out of PE and told them to go to hell, for one I hate taking orders and have issues with authorities anyway and I allow no one to talk to me like I am an idiot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_Officers%27_Training_Corps

7. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

So basically you get to do training while being in High School?

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yeah.

They're just a bunch of dicks like the rest of the army upper ranks.
    I know they act like that to break you and change the way you think...but I hate people treating me like an idiot like Apo said.

I never tried it.

9. tyson_rss

tyson_rss Guest

Oh, haha well I guess I'll try than, I know its going to be tough with them in your face yelling and screaming like an buffoon but I guess it might be worth it.

10. MadmanNero

Yes somewhat, depending on how the high schools funding for it is, some are better than others but all in all its about the same and will give you a good ideal what it is going to be like. I would assume boot camp would be the same thing just more focused instead of 1hr-2hr at high school 5 days a week.

Anyway read the link it will give you more info that what I can as I dropped out after the 1st 6 weeks as that shit just isn't for me.

11. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I get bad headaches every now and then, so that wouldn't be the best place for me. lol

12. MadmanNero

Mine is different I want to snap back or knock them the hell out, and knowing damn well they could hand my ass back to me if I even tried so I bailed out before something stupid happened, god that's been years ago and I can still hear that jackass yelling. AHHH bad memories!!!

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That just pisses me the hell off just thinking about that shit...T_T...
    That must have been fucking ridiculous...I know what you mean by wanting to kick their asses..
    Not many people know, but I have anger issues. XD

14. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

High school has Junior Reserve Officers Training Corp. The program stresses military discipline upon students, and covers military history and strategy, as well as rigorous physical training. When you take the 3rd and 4th year courses, they put you on path to military leadership.

Completing the JROTC program won't give you an edge when you join the military, but completing the ROTC program in college will. When you graduate from college and finish the ROTC program successfully, you will start with a rank of 2nd Lieutenant, which is the first officer rank in the military.

15. MadmanNero

See I told you it was years ago, I forgot it was called JROTC.

16. Reider

Reider Modereider

Boot camp fucking sucks. There's really no way to prepare for just how bad they're going to fuck with you.

The physical aspect is probably the easiest part of it. The hard part is keeping yourself from going nuts and doing something stupid. You wouldn't believe the shit some of the people I met there did. =/

If you're going to go for it, the only advice I can offer you is to memorize the reporting statement and for the love of god, try to blend in so you don't have them on your ass constantly. You don't want to be the guy that sticks out whether it's the good sort or the bad sort because they're going to do whatever it takes to destroy you mentally in those cases.

17. ChristMonkey95

ChristMonkey95 Well-Known Member

Awesome, Tyson. Good luck.

18. Petey

Petey Well-Known Member

Don't listen to Reider.

Boot camp was fun.

You will need either a HS diploma or a GED equivalent to enlist in the military. If you want to enlist at 17, you can but will need parental consent and you won't ship out for basic training until AFTER you receive your diploma. Being in the JROTC program in High School will allow you to enlist at the rank of E-3 for the Air Force (not too sure about other services).

I'm active duty military, so if you have any questions on any aspect of military life ask away.

19. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You do need to have a High School diploma or a GED. My Uncle (younger than me... by quite a bit) dropped out of high school and tried to join the army. They denied him because he didn't graduate. He then tried to go get in GED (but failed because he's a moron.)

Dropping out of High School to join the Military (even if you could) is a stupid idea anyway.

20. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Boot camp was one of the toughest things I've done mentally speaking, but man, I came out with awesome bros.

Physically speaking it was a piece of cake. Apart from the constant terminal exhaustion.