1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Japanese on UK keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnieBob, Jan 29, 2010.

1. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I wanted to know if you can get Japanese kana/kanji to appear using an ordinary keyboard (UK) and no super special software? I know you can get random characters like: ô, ┴, ‗, ™, etc... by holding ALT and the numbers on the right of the keyboard.
    Thanks for any help at all :D

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You can install new languages on your computer...but i'm not sure if it will change your keyboard letter/number symbols.

3. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

If your using vista

1.Open Regional and Language Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Regional and Language Options.

2.Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

3.Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

4. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

And once it's installed, you input text in romaji which is displayed on screen initially as hiragana. Press the spacebar and the computer will automatically convert parts into kanji and katakana. Here's a nice picture from WIkipedia that explains it.

[​IMG]

But why do you need to type Japanese in the first place?

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I could not be cynical and say the user has a desire to learn to read and type Japanese correctly.

But most likely it boils down to some Weeabooism (No offense to the poster :) )

6. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

And since I am both Asian and taking Japanese in school, I have a reason to have Japanese input enabled on my computer. ::)

And Chinese. TRADITIONAL Chinese. ;)

7. haseoTOD

haseoTOD Guest

You're so hardcore.

8. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

UBER hardcore :p

9. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

LOL

did you even try my way,(@ first poster)