1. This forum is in read-only mode.

James Cameron's Avatar Discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rock91, Jan 5, 2010.

1. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

Well you all probably know that James Cameron's Avatar is out for some time now.
    But what do you think of the movie?
    What does it lack? What part did you liked the most?
    Which caracter do you preffer and why?
    Could you think of a better ending ?
    And if you were a Na'vi, wha would your name be?

Here's a description of it provided by wikipedia so that you don't mess up the names:

Avatar is a 2009 American science fiction film written and directed by James Cameron, and starring Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez and Stephen Lang. The epic is set in the year 2154 on Pandora, a fictional world in a distant planetary system. Humans are engaged in mining Pandora's reserves of a precious mineral, while the Na'vi—a race of indigenous humanoids—resist the colonists' expansion, which threatens the continued existence of the Na'vi and the Earth-like Pandoran ecosystem. The film's title refers to the remotely controlled, genetically engineered human-Na'vi bodies used by the film's human characters to interact with the natives.

Discuss...

2. frebels

frebels Well-Known Member

I went to the 3d version and i loved it was tottaly worth it sometimes your confused wether there are even actors cause the pandora creatures look super realisitic

3. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

They do. I personally liked the enviroment and the creatures that reside in Pandora as well as the natives. I wish I was a Na'vi. My name would be Kannuk. The ending is kinda weak because they should at least show us if the dude swap boddies succesfully or not with his Avater.
    The movie lacked consistency and it was kinda repetitive in the Sci-Fi theme...It was similar to most Sci-Fi movie which reduced the quality of it. But it was compensated by the detailed graphics thou. The movie was great in it's ways. I enjoyed it pretty much. It reminds me of the game HALO for some reason XD

4. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

The movie, although sci-fi in it's own right, made itself easy to comprehend for normal viewers. It's beautifully done, in the artistic way. James Cameron did take his time 10 years writing and re-writing the story and everything.

5. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

true I agree. Making it in 1999 would've probably been wrong given the lack of extensive technology like in 2009.

6. dancubs

That was one of his main dillemas back then. Good decision on his part, although before that, he actually planned on releasing it right after Titanic. Avatar was the bigger hit, in my opinion, better yet, will be the bigger hit.

7. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty good movie overall....though i haven't seen it yet....

i usually don't watch movies in the theater, but i can just tell what they're like from people talking about it. and it sounds like a REALLY good movie!!

8. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

it is an AWESOME movie. it almost met all my requirements in a movie

9. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

I watched it in 3d and I loved it, but this is kind of a movie, that looks great in the cinema, but would be less interesting to watch in TV. It's meant to be watched on a big screen with a loud speakers, so better go watch it in the theater, if you want to enjoy it fully. Effects are beautiful ::)

10. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

no such thing as 3D cinemas where I am XD

11. frebels

frebels Well-Known Member

tickets were 11.50 euros at my cinema...

12. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

They are 10 at mine

13. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Yea, smth like that ::)

14. dancubs

Does sound pretty plausible. Hmmm. Still, Avatar is a different story on it's own. Stories tend to do that, often almost imitating each other, but it can't be helped if Avatar HAPPENS to be a lot like Pochahontas. :))

15. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

10 years of studying Pochahontas mr. James Cameron ? ::)

16. MysticMaja

MysticMaja Well-Known Member

lol @ Rysio's post!

That's exactly what I don't like about Avatar. The story is insipid and cliche ridden. It irks me when people praise its plot and themes and call it original and omgsomindblowing when it's been done to death more masterfully than James Cameron has.

Even though the story's weak, it's worth a watch, though. Just because of the amazing CG and special effects and how nothing's ever come close to it before. My only regret is not seeing it in 3D.