1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Jakarta(Indonesia) Hotel Blasts Killed 9, Wound 50

Discussion in 'General News' started by koyuchan, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

Well This happened when i was at school this morning.
    Luckily, my school is quite far from the places.
    For Information : Jakarta is the capital city of Indonesia

Friday, 17 July 2009 | 11:21 AM
    JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com— A pair of powerful explosions killed
    nine and wounded at least 50 people in an upscale Jakarta neighborhood Friday morning, sending debris and glass flying onto the streets.

Anti-terror forces were at the scenes of both blasts, but did not yet want to speculate about the possibility of an attack by militants.

“There were bodies on the ground, one of them had no stomach,” said a man who lives near the hotels and who arrived at the Marriott before emergency services. “It was terrible." Alex Asmasubrata, who was jogging by the hotels, said he first heard a loud explosion at the Marriott. Five minutes later, a bomb followed at the Ritz.

The blasts were caused by “high explosives,” Security Minister Widodo Adi Sucipto told reporters at the scene, without elaborating. He said they exploded two minutes apart. He said a New Zealander was among those killed, and that thirteen other foreigners were among the injured.

The police operational chief Arief Wahyunadi said the bombs were planted in the Ritz-Carlton’s Air Langga restaurant and the basement of the Marriott, which was attacked in 2003. Twelve people died in that assault, which was blamed on Southeast Asian terror network Jemaah Islamiyah.

There has been a massive crackdown by anti-terror officials since then, and it has been more than three years since a major terrorist attack in Indonesia. The Manchester United football team was scheduled to stay at the Ritz on Saturday and Sunday nights for a friendly match against the Indonesian All Stars, the Indonesian Football association said.

Because of past attacks, most major hotels in Jakarta take security precautions, such as checking incoming vehicles and requiring visitors to pass through metal detectors. Still, international hotels make attractive targets, since the nature of their business requires them to be relatively open and accessible.

http://english.kompas.com/read/xml/2009/07/17/11210570/officials.jakarta.hotel.blasts.killed.9.wound.50

At Least Six Killed in Explosions in Two Jakarta Hotels

Friday, 17 July 2009 | 9:45 AM

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com-Explosions rocked Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott Hotels in Mega Kuningan area, Central Jakarta, early Friday, killing at least six people and injuring several others.

Ritz-Carlton Hotel was supposed to accommodate footballers of the Manchester United (MU) of Britain, who are expected to arrive in Jakarta on Saturday (July 18). A 90-member team of MU, consisting of officials and players, are scheduled to arrive at Halim Perdanakusuma airport by a chartered plane.

For the complete news : http://english.kompas.com/read/xml/2009/07/17/09455282/at.least.six.killed.in.explosions.in.two.jakarta.hotels

2. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

wow theres also bombing happening in indonesia here on philippines they are many bombings they even bombed a church which in the news says its suppose to blow up a fastfood and the bombings include soldiers there soldiers in the casualties

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

That's sad..why can't these terrorist think about the loss of life they are creating, rather than thier own, selfish needs...

I wonder how my mum's friends feel about this-or that person I worked with years ago...

(All from indonesia-I hope none of them were near by-been awhile since I seen them so not sure where they are :( )

4. AceKilla

AceKilla Well-Known Member

so koyuchan you from indonesia too? Okay here's a picture after the bombing.
    [​IMG]
    JW Marriot

[​IMG]
    Ritz Charlton

[​IMG]
    A Memorial ... :'(

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

They do. the intention is to kill as many people as possible, either because of their ideology (usually religious) or to make a statement.

6. AceKilla

But the new rumors around Jakarta, they said it got something to do with the result of Indonesia President Election.

7. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

We try not to think that as the terror motive and try to keep ourselves in unity, not to blame someone. ^^

8. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

Hmm, because of this , there're many rumors that over than 40 bombs still hidden in many places.
    (Malls,hotels,etc..)
    Man, because of this my mom didn't allow me to go to my friend's birthday party at hotel. :(
    that's suck..;(

9. AceKilla

yup, it's for ur safety koyuchan. But the rumors will perish itself bout 1-2 weeks, let us wait & see.

10. rebornalone

rebornalone Well-Known Member

If this is true, and more bombs are being planted, the terrorist might say, "We have Indonesia under our control, if you do not respond to our demands, we will blow each building one by one." or something to that effect.

11. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

It's just like Mindanao in the Philippines. It's just stupid.

12. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

So true...

The bombings can be related to numerous things...secterian or racial violence, religious activism, political unrest, etc.

Until then, everyone is a possible suspect...but you can't blame everyone and start pointing fingers until solid evidence is found.

13. bhatooth

i heard on the news that milf or other terrorist group in the philippines is near extinction there only 70 or above thats what the news said

14. AceKilla

The latest rumor i heard is the Intelligence said that there about 5 more bombs haven't been found. :'(

15. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I feel for you guys experiencing this. Bombs can seem so random and because of that you should continue to do your business and live your lives as you want. Do not give into terror by sacrificing your freedom. Someone will know who did this and why, it may seem random but it never is. Hopefully those who did it can either be brought to justice or wise-up and start thinking about how they can make their voices heard without resorting to murder and terror.

My final thoughts, never ever listen to anything an intelligence service says to you, ignore them, they are professional liars. Much of what they say is either to aid the government or to flush out the bombers. Be strong and never be afraid to stand against those that resort to terror.

Don't be afraid, that's what the scum want.

16. kamuikurou

kamuikurou Well-Known Member

Yeah. All of us here, especially in twitter, give our best to campaign #indonesiaunite : We do not afraid. Even #indonesiaunite has topped the trending topics several times.

You can check out this article http://www.alexabimanyu.com/?p=591 or this website http://indonesiaunite.com/ to find out more about this movement.

17. marzz92

marzz92 Well-Known Member

This is stupid... Many innocent lives were lost...

18. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

I appreciate how they specifically mentioned a New Zealander was killed.

19. bhatooth

maybe they want to kill more value more than there worthless lives

20. kukuru

kukuru Well-Known Member

me think so too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.