1. This forum is in read-only mode.

It's Been Bothering Me.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dancubs, Jan 7, 2010.

1. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

I've been thinking. Are DJs and Mixers considered musicians? If so, what instrument do they play?

Are decks considered instruments? Do all the computers, software and hardware count?

2. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

That shit is not music. ROCK and METAL is the only true music in this world. May The Rock Spirit be with you dancubs \m/

3. dancubs

Oh yes, the rock is within me my friend. My itunes has been spitting out Trivium, BFMV and Thrice for the past few hours.

But still, come on. I need some honest opinions. Do you really think that Rock and Metal are the only true forms of music?

4. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

I also like trance ^^

5. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

Stop being ignorant.

In truth it depends on the DJ, theres not much difference between what some DJ's do and eletronic rock.

6. dancubs

Electronic rock uses some keytars and drumpads, both require a certain amount of skill and talent with the real guitar/keyboard and drum kit. But let me specify the terms. DJs like Tiesto. Could we consider him a musician, ignoring the fact that he is successful and world renown?

What I'm looking at is that DJs like him have samples of the instruments on tracks in his hardware, and all DJs like him have to do to create sounds is press a button. Is that considered to be a musician's methods?

7. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

he makes music, he is a musician.

8. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

That is not actually music....BEWARE OF THE METAL DARK LORD \m/OoO\m/

9. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

it is true that allot of DJs make songs that can be simply made on a good music editing program with samples i know i have done it my self.

but some are musicians, allot of music these days metal included are made using computer programs or use the process massively and to make something good it does take skill.

you need to know what sounds good plus timing and all the skills of any rocker in fact more. it may seem like it's all done on a PC and it is but they use keyboards and even instruments, record it then use their own made samples to create something.

to make something good it take a whole lot more musical knowledge then a angsty metal band has.
    i went looking at how to make some squelchy dup step the other day and found out that if i want to do it properly it took a whole lot more then my rocker knowledge and is a little bit beyond my ability.

i thought much like you guys when i was younger but it's naivety and lack of understanding of how to make music and what it takes. at the end of the day even someone that just mixes songs needs a full understanding of timing and let me tell you that's not something that everybody understands.

10. Patton

Patton Guest

It is more of an art, rather than "music".

Most, if not all DJs (at least in the San Francisco techno scene) always have their laptops plugged into their mixers. They spend a great deal of time preparing their songs, and planning out on how they are going to piece it all in together.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

DJs in the traditional sense are not musicians. All they do is operate the sound system and choose tracks and fade between them with added effects.

Some professional DJs these days create tracks almost as a side job. These people may be considered DJs and musicians. DJing itself does not make you a musician.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I agree with nex26's statement:

Just because you don't like a particular music genre it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, well for you maybe but for others no. And let me ask you, how old are you really? I'm thinking you're either a pre-teen, a teenager or perhaps a young adult (a college boy perhaps?). I'm asking you this because just like Rap, Metal & Rock especially hardcore metal is aimed at teens & young adults. The angst laden music coincides with what one feels once you enter teenhood & young adulthood where you are still out there trying to make a name for yourself & discovering who you really are. The angry music amplifies this "raw" hormone bursting state you are in & in a way it soothes you, hence what we call the "Spirit of Rock".

Same is true with rap music in a way, but let's not talk about that here.

As you grow a little each day, you'll eventually come to a time when you'll lose your fascination with Hardcore Rock & Metal & slowly shift to other genres. Especially if you get into an intimate relationship, I mean, who makes love with noisy hardcore rock as their ambiance music? :p

I know this for a fact as back in the 90's I also liked Hardcore & Acid core. But now, when I listen to it I dislike it & label it as noise not music.

Also, we used to have an active forumer who is a Professional DJ, his name is 1Blacks1 & he is a cool guy :)

If he were here I'd bet he'd have shared his thoughts & insights about DJing :)

13. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

i used to screw to the sounds of manson's Antichrist superstar album but i was an angsty teen then :p

i think it's more of a lack of understanding of how to make music

rock songs are about the easiest songs to make next after punk.

14. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

Of course they are,they create Music,therefore they are artists :)

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I can clearly picture that oddly ;D

Well maybe you can screw it with hard core rock, especially under the influence of Alcohol or drugs as that might heighten your high thus elevate the sensation.

16. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

If you are going to post crap like that then don't bother posting in topics like this.

Also, I believe your taste in music is terrible and that metal and rock is a distasteful genre now.

DJ's are considered musicians. DJ's are awesome.

17. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Just as what I was thinking on the matter.

I learnt how to "DJ" so I got that worked out, as for music...try getting fruit loops mucic program and see what you can do.

Make a killer track-prehaps you'd become a mucisian XD

18. dancubs

That doesn't answer the question. I was asking if they were considered as Musicians, and not Artists. Of course they're artists.

Now that I've heard everyone, I think it's right to say that DJing and all it's other disciplines are under a new wing of art, not necessarily music, although related.

And please guys, no genre bashing. Everyone has a right to their own preferences, and I respect Rock's utter love for Rock and Metal. I guess it just comes down to how you preach. Rock and Metal are obviously not the only types of music. :))

19. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

Brutal legend?

20. phscarface

phscarface Well-Known Member

I agree with the idea of MitsukaiXxX.
    Just 'cause you don't like the DJs, that you gonna offend others music style.
    Just 'cause I love 1990's gangsta rap, don't mean that I hate rock and other music.