1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raz0rdragon, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raz0rdragon

raz0rdragon New Member

Hey guys is downloading roms from this site is illegal? i just want a honest question ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
    THANKS! ;D

2. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

The 24 hour thing is bullcrap.

It's a touchy subject, and everyone has their own opinions about it.

3. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

The 24 hour thing is.... I believe it's just an ethnics thing now that I think about it.

There are, however, no "opinions" on the law. Mainly, if you follow a personal code of ethnics, you should be fine. From least strict to most strict some guidelines you can follow are

Only every game I want, disregarding all ethics for my personal gain <- most common for downloaders that don't visit forum. Don't do this!
    Only games never released in native language with or without my language's patch
    Only discontinued/hard to find/canceled games
    Only games that I will buy if I like, then give to friends for multiplayer <- Most common pratice, recommended. Support the ones you love
    Only games that I will buy if I like, then have a collection
    Only games that I will delete within 24 hours of gameplay
    Only games that I will delete within 24 hours or download
    Only homebrew. Period.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Legally speaking, you cannot download these games even if you own the actual game. Distribution (sending and receiving) of copyrighted materials is a violation of many countries' laws, covered by local laws and international conventions (like the Berne Convention).

If you want ROMs, the only true legal way to do it is to make backups yourself, of games you own. They cannot touch you for that.

But in reality, large companies will not come after you personally. If you do lots of activity, usually hosting files for others to download, the company may contact your webmaster or ISP, and ask you to stop, send a Cease and Desist order, etc.

But the bottom line, you are relatively safe. They aren't going to do anything if you download a handful of games for your private use. And it's up to you if you feel bad about it or not :)

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

@raz0rdragon: Don't worry, what you're doing here won't get you into too much trouble it's not like you're dealing drugs, stealing cars or murdering people.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

short answer: yes it is illegal. As Born2killx said, the 24 hour rule has no grounding in law.

7. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

so if you just keep them private you wont get into trouble?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

pretty much.

9. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I'm so sick and tired of this question, it's been asked a million times over and the answer is always the same. No, not at all, you cannot download a game from here legally, even if you own the original. You have to create a backup your self, not download one.

more discussion: https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=9806.0 and https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14797.0

Now, closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.