1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is there a way to use a micro SDHC card in the original R4?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by onewho, May 10, 2010.

1. onewho

onewho New Member

Ok, so is there a way to use a micro SDHC card in the original R4?

I've done some light research and what I've found says you need a newer R4 that supports the use of SDHC cards... but there is no explantion of why... I would think the R4 itself is mearly an adapter, and all the real data needed to run any programs is held on the micro SD card itself. So I would think all that is really needed is the right patch to make SDHC card compatible with the R4.

Right now I currently have a regluar 2gig micro SD card in my R4, which is great, but has limited space... I also have an 8gig micro SDHC card sitting next to me, and have been wanting to use it... So if anyone could explain what I would need to do to use my larger card would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aldar

Aldar Well-Known Member

No it cannot.
    The card itself doesn't have the hardware to run an SDHC card.
    It's like.... expecting to play a Blu-Ray movie in a normal DVD player, it just can't do it.

3. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

The R4 is more like a middleman between the roms on the microSD card and the DS. It has its own little BIOS that allows it to boot regardless of the presence of a microSD card. Unfortunately, in original R4s, this BIOS is not upgradeable and therefore they cannot be "patched" to accept microSDHC cards.