1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is there a growing trend in anti-piracy in games on nds.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qazokm1, Dec 4, 2009.

1. qazokm1

qazokm1 Member

Recently a few games have had anti piracy protection, Is this a growing trend because xmas is fast approaching, or so many people are using r4,m3 these days that they are losing sales. Luckily the rom can be hacked or patched. But why bother listing it if it can't be downloaded to try.

Even the mysims developers got so paranoid as to try and ban their games from most sites. But still available if you look around, Almost as bad as codemasters that are still fussy about their speccy roms.

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Anti-piracy has been around for quite a while now.

3. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Its very common on games that get anticipated a lot.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Companies hate to loose money so they are using it more often, however coding it in might cost extra time and money so not all games have it, most "shovel ware" lack it.

I'd do the same thing if I made a game.

5. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

The Companies what to avoid people getting the game for free by downloading roms.
    So I guess it's natural.

6. MitsukaiXxX

MitsukaiXxX Well-Known Member

Tell me about it!

7. ggrroohh

Not all though....
    I think I read somewhere that Atlus's answer to pirates is release their games in small quantities.
    That way they are almost guaranteed profit.

8. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

That means their games will be rarely available right ?
    Seems like a good method.

9. ggrroohh

Yea,their stuff becomes rare and hard to find after a while.

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Collectables...

[me=hYpNoS]drools[/me]

11. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

That's one way to minimize the loss from people creating ROMs.
    Hope Exceed doesn't have any AP on them.

12. r1motochick

r1motochick Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm--- R4 = free pretty good deal, don't cha think? :)

13. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Well, the R4 isn't free, the ROMs are. And I think most people buy the R4 'cause it's the only flashcard they know. So the clones are getting seld over and over again when Christmas comes.

14. r1motochick

r1motochick Well-Known Member

Yes Kiekoes, you are so right! I, for one, don't know anything other than R4......

15. Apollooo

Apollooo Well-Known Member

i bet DQ 9 will have AP too since he V have....
    and AP is evolving, when crhono trigger was released on DS and DQ 5 it's just need some simple AR codes, but since maybe Chinatown wars was released most of all games have to be patched, and ar codes are no longer works to bypass this...
    wonder what will it be in the future?

16. kankerzooi

kankerzooi Well-Known Member

If Nintendo wants to make his games protected from piracy they should implement keys ( like Microsoft keys ) that activate the game, and only 1 key per 1 user.

Sadly for them that can be hacked aswell, so I don't think they can do more then what they do now.

17. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I don't think so. Their PS3 games like Demon's Souls and Vakyria Chronicles are also released in limited quantities, as for now, it's impossible to pirate PS3 games. Also depending on how much the game costs and how much they sell they might not make a profit or break even. It's probably something to do with copying costs (they have to rent factories and stuff to print discs) and/or because they want their games to be collector's items (we're lucky Demon's Souls got printed twice, and Valkyria Chronicles is out of print).

This would work to a certain extent. Steam does a good job preventing to customer feeling like they're being controlled (DRM), yet enforcing a good DRM. Although the DS extremely popular and implementing these keys without hacks would need an internet connection. Not everyone has one. They could tie the games to the user's system, but that'd be too restricting.

A good way to prevent piracy is to have an extremely good multiplayer component. Online games don't get pirated as much as single player only games. But this is only the case with PC games, and some of them. Steam games prevent users with pirated copies of the game to play online.

18. hightimes

hightimes Well-Known Member

it's been around for a while but now with all these new releases coming out. all the major companies are trying to make a profit. but come on paying $40.00 for an NDS game is expensive. i think we are going to hear more on this topic because the U.S. as a whole is going crazy with anti-piracy. if you like a game support the developers. that's it.

H.