1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is there a best Micro SD card?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by tsubakix2, Dec 5, 2010.

1. tsubakix2

tsubakix2 Well-Known Member

The question is often asked which flash cart is best, but, I am wondering if Micro SD card brands make any difference. I got a 4 GB PNY Micro SD card, and also an R4 SDHC+YSMenu. Whenever I launch games from YSMenu, loading can be VERY slow... and then sometimes, for certain games, it freezes 40% of the time. Pokemon Black in particular can be tricky to start. It works perfectly once loaded, but it doesn't decide to load the game every time. The interface of YSMenu is also very slow on my setup, and takes a while to scroll through games.

I did reformat the card before using it- so I'm confused~!

I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal? Thanks for any answers, thoughts, insights.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes, sandisk are best.

3. Conrannex

Conrannex Guest

For quality control and write speeds you'd be best off with a Sandisk, as Loony said.

4. tsubakix2

Thanks so much guys! I thought honestly that it was the R4 for a small period of time, but I figured I'd ask here.:)

And, this enables me to wait on getting upgrade flash carts for me and my best friend for a small time. :D

5. sajon123

sajon123 Well-Known Member

i have a kingston micro sd card is that any good.

6. Conrannex

Conrannex Guest

Kingston is a good brand, too.

7. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Kingston is a terrible brand. I would avoid it.

8. verack

verack Active Member

I'd be careful with Sandisk. I recently had a 32Gb class 4 Sandisk, and it had abysmal reading times and latency, so much to the point where it couldn't load clean mode on my DSTwo, and most games had visual lag and other problems. The same thing also happened to my friend with a 16GB Sandisk class 4 on his AceKard2i. I'm currently using a 16Gb Adata, and I have yet to have any slowdowns or problems with it.

9. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

how so? its fantastic it doesnt gives any troubles, its a 4GB one, and the only game it gives me troubles is castlevania portrait of ruin, every other games works fine

10. LuckyTrouble77

Did you think that maybe class 4 just wasn't any good? Are you sure the place you were buying from sold legitimate Sandisk MicroSD cards? My 2gb one of an unknown class to me (nowhere on it, and I'm not gonna bother researching) has never given me a game slow down or any issues directly related to the MicroSD.

I invite you to read about the nice..."high quality" Kingston MicroSD cards: http://gizmodo.com/5472859/even-kingston-knocks-off-kingston-microsd-cards

11. tsubakix2

o_O

Thanks for the heads up on Kingston. That is ridiculous. This also makes me want to buy the Sandisk one from an actual store in person, since I worry people might try to dupe that over Amazon as well.D:

12. verack

verack Active Member

Class has no bearing what so ever on the read speed and latency of a SD card. The only thing class effects is the write speed. Flashcards don't even use writing, and they rely heavily on read speed an latency, so class is irrelevant to the what's good or bad for a flashcard.

The SD cards I bought were legit cards, as I presume Walmart and Best Buy wouldn't be selling fakes.

I've never trusted Kingston before, nor have I suggested their cards, so I'm not sure what you're getting at in the last part of your post

13. LuckyTrouble77

Duncan Idaho mentioned some wondering about why I don't trust Kingston cards, so I gave him that little piece of reading.

I'm not sure why you were having issues with your Sandisk MicroSD card(s) though. They are generally suggested above all other big MicroSD brands when people ask and are considered to be high quality cards.

14. miniafroboy

miniafroboy Well-Known Member

I hate kingston. I had a 2 gb card for 2 years. It just suddenly couldnt be read by computer, but could be read by everything else. I cut it up into heaps of pieces, then bought a sandisk. Its still working after 1 and a half years, hope it'll still work after 2 years, or i'll be pissed as.

15. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

i understand that lecture is pointing that kingston tends to sell both defectous card and working ones, tbh the only card it actually gave me troubles was a 2GB sandisk i use for my wii the wii refused to load it via adaptor so i had to format it and get a new lector thanks to said micro SD burning two of my usb readers, and after i formated it i havent had any other trouble.

16. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Yep. And if you want, you can get a Class 10. :)

17. tsubakix2

Hey all-

Just thought I'd give an update. Found a 4 GB SanDisk Micro SD today, dunno the class- (probably low), and my load speeds have at least halved.

Thanks so much!