1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is there a before you even start tutorial? (DSL)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by zaphodikus, Nov 23, 2011.

1. zaphodikus

zaphodikus New Member

Is there a tutorial or something for someone who does not even know a ROM from a flash or even a kart?

Just got hold of a second-hand DS lite console, it's lime green. Firstly I assume the 'lite' is referred to as DSL, not DSi. This is my first ever console, so although an adept computer-user I am easily misslead on console terminology.
    A ROM is the read-only game binaries that come on a card, it's also called a ROM? The confusing thing, is where do all my savegames go, on the rom-card? So I assume the rom-card has some flash as well, and can hold more than one game? Must the microSD card in the kart be formatted with FAT16 or soemthing I can read in 'Windows'? It's a hundred basic questions like this that are never all explained in just one thread here. I actually found romulation.net through searching online after finding games really pricey and sometimes not what I thought they were. So I bought a cart (kart) and a micro-SD and USB converter doodah, to do some try-buy browsing, but am still a bit lost on how to even start.

So please do not answer my questions, rather point me in the right direction so I can learn the right answers quickly.

2. megashell

megashell Well-Known Member

well before any of us can help you, what Flash card do you have? the make, once we know that, we can tell you what to do, or show you where to go

3. zaphodikus

zaphodikus New Member

OK, I have an Acekard2. I was going to include a photo, but that's not happening.
    I have a 4gig SD, formatted FAT32 (which was unexpected that the DS was a 32-bit machine).
    Do I need to flash the DS console next? If so, how and what might break once I do, and how can I go back to the factory DS firmware.
    I have downloaded a whole load of roms so I have some .nds files, looking forward to some beginner hacking this evening.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

fat32 has nothing to do with the architecture of the cpu, It's a widely used file system because its an open standard that is simple and easy (=cheap) to implement

5. zaphodikus

zaphodikus New Member

The DSi detected the card, and shows only one application to run, the AceKard thingy, so I select it like it said in the readme file.
    But now it just stops (about 5 minutes now) and says

Post Merge: [time]1323285689[/time]
    Ah
    1. download and add the aceKard ROM
    2. download and add a menu (AKAIO)
    3. download games and place on card

Really easy, why did I think the AceKard firmware would not have it's own menu built in? Now to see which games are really worth buying.