1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is the NDS worth getting?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by addku2003, Sep 10, 2007.

1. addku2003

addku2003 Well-Known Member

Even though I already have a PSP, Is it worth to get a NDS also //R4DS? (Where do you get R4DS from? From the net? Or could you get them from Microplay, or something? Also, How much space does it hold?.. If it does.)
    The reason I ask this question is because I'm debating about the new PSP Slim & Lite, or the NDS to get. Any persuasion in each would greatly help my desicion... though I'm leaning more towards NDS..
    Thanks.

2. stevo11185

stevo11185 Well-Known Member

NDS is a great app with a LOT of new games coming out that are very good Take Zelda for example, Jam sessions is coming out soon. (GUITAR ON DS!!!) and there is a rumour that guitar hero will also come out. The ds is getting new hardware such as the motion card and the camera.

games have wide selections too

3. digirob89

digirob89 Member

Considering you already have a psp. I don't think the slim & lite has too much new to offer compared to a DS + R4. I just got an R4 Recently, and there's an overwhelming amount of games that I want to play. The 2gb of space just isn't enough for me, haha.

4. addku2003

Does the R4 need a special Memory stick?
    Or could you just buy your standard Sandisk 4GB and hook it up to it?

5. inutilus

inutilus Member

Hmm, well, since I got my ds, I haven't touched my psp, except to play Tales of the World and Innocent Life. >.> I got the ds last Christmas and bought myself the r4 through an online store using paypal about a week and a half after. I've had my psp since last summer.

The space of your r4 depends on the size of your microsd card. And no, you can't get a scandisk 4gig and hook it up. r4 only takes a microsd...which only come as high a 2gig, as far as I know. But you can use more than one card [which is what I do], you just have to format each one. If you get the r4 bundle, it comes with a nice little carrying case, an sd card and a usb card reader. :D

I think the nds is definitely worth getting. Especially considering it's region free [to play japanese games!]. Plus the sheer volume of good games is amazing. Considering I got it just for EBA/Ouendan and Phantom Hourglass, I am very much surprised at the number of other games I find myself playing. And the r4 is definitely worth buying as well.

Not many people mention it, but I feel I should: battery length.

My psp has an annoyingly short battery length, especially when your using it for games [I mostly use it for reading, though...]. Maybe, four hours tops? And that's pushing it.

The ds just goes and goes and goes. I can play it all day without charging it once. I've actually had the light go red [means battery low] on me while playing gyakuten saiban 3 and still played for another hour before stopping. Without it dying on me. Of course wifi and multiplayer eats up battery, but not significantly.

6. addku2003

Oh sweet, Good info inutilus.
    So I'm guessing you have to buy the R4DS from the net than? Or do you know a site that I could search for it near me.. or something?

7. inutilus

inutilus Member

I got mine from ds-scene because it was based in the Greater Vancouver area, close to where I am, and they had a sale at the time. If you live in the British Columbia lower mainland, I also know they sell r4s at the Richmond Nightmarket...

If you're not in Canada, well. Your best bet is just to search "buy+r4sd+wherever" 'cause a lot of online stores sell them. It's best to shop around for the best deals, y'know?

I wouldn't worry about getting more than one microSD card, though. :D Places like bestbuy and future shop sell microsds now at decent prices. Although with the deal I got, I only payed fifteen dollars cdn for a 2gig sd card. So...

Anyways, like I said. Shop around. I know it can be annoying, but you never know what you might find, and there are some really good deals out there.

EDIT: The r4ds webpage offers a 'where to buy' search option, which is what I used to find the site I purchased at, if I remember correctly. Although it's not working properly for me right now. I am on a mac, though, so it could just be troubleshooting issues. :|

8. addku2003

I'm from Ontario... and I haven't seen heard of any of the places that you said. Though, I think I have an idea of a place that would sell them.
    Also, does it matter the NDS version to use the R4?

9. inutilus

inutilus Member

DS version doesn't matter. r4 works on the oldschool one and dslite [ie: all versions]. If you're in Ontario, you're nowhere near the Richmond Nightmarket, which is in Vancouver, and on the west coast. >.>

I would recommend ds-scene, though [just google it for the website]. Which is where I bought mine. They accept paypal => good for me 'cause I don't have a credit card.

10. addku2003

cool. so I guess i'mm all set then eh.
    hmm, seems like M33 just came out with a CFW for the psp slim & lite... and thats great. :D

11. inutilus

inutilus Member

hellyes. :3 Too bad I'm more interested in luminous arc and heroes of mana right now...

12. DS Expert

DS Expert Member

Heros of Mana is ok. It's just that the AI for the units you control don't go where you want them to go and they don't get into formation like in other RTS games. Starcraft and Age of Empires just to name a few. It's got good graphics though and and gameplay too. Hopefully Revenant Wings will be the first RTS/RPG DS game that will perfect this genre on the DS. Anyway, I think the DS is awesome and the number of games available for it. I have a Supercard lite and I've tried out many DS games since I got it last year. It's not as savvy as the R4, but I don't want to buy the R4 because I've done pretty good with my Supercard lite.

P.S. Has anyone ever tried to use 1 4 GB mircro SD card on the R4 or Supercard lite? I want to get one but I'm not sure if it'll work though.

13. addku2003

Are there ANY games on the DS that are RPG? Like, you are actually moving the character.. not tactics?

14. poiboy

poiboy Well-Known Member

try:

final fantasy 3
    rune factory
    zelda (the new one is coming out v. soon)

and
    http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?platform=1026&category=Role-Playing&type=top_rated&mode=top&sort=views&sortdir=asc

ps.. don't forget that NDS plays GBA games, and there are lots of RPGs for that system too..
    ie.. golden sun, final fantasy etc..

have fun

NDS is waay more fun.
    ;D

15. addku2003

are the GBA games touch screen too? or just nds?

16. addku2003

And also, the PSP plays the Playstation. So all the 'better' games are on it also.. including FF7, Chrono Cross, and the like.
    Also, I have tried to find someplace that sells the R4DS, and nobody sells it... oh well, guess my money is going for PSP Slim :)

17. aciddream

aciddream Member

I got mine on Amazon and paid more than I should. I Did get a 2g card for $19 also.
    Is there any reason you have to purchase it from a store?

I love my DSlite and R4 combo. I've used the Rom trimmer and put around 35 games on mine, about two or three music albums and about 25 to 30 music videos and still have over 500mb free on the card.

18. addku2003

Well, I have no Credit Card. And that pretty much explains it all.

19. deadbird666

deadbird666 Active Member

nope .. XD

well want 3-d suppa cool ghraphic game .. buy psp *im saving my money rite now .. for theh pink*
    psp is really cool -well the game kinda better and many .. for now
    *racing for the psp is soo much satisfaction guaranteeeee XDD *
    ... if u mgs fan ... psp hav MetalGearSolid game ROFL
    -note to self -
    buy lotsa memory stick for psp LOL the game file suppa big:3

if u want to try sumthing fun and new *lol hanphone and pda do the touching stuff too*
    go get NDS ... using stylus and moving the character in the game is fun
    and it has voice recognition stuff XDDD *doesnt use much btw*
    *my friend who dont play game ... suprisingly like ... poking into my ds craving for brainage game*

and hell yeah NDS got many game !! :333 you can buy R4 for the DS
    and if u a fan Of GBA ... you can buy the other thing that looks like r4 .. i dont remember the name but
    the shopkeeper .. giv me to try his ..GBA*micro* he donwload tons of GBA roms too -____-
    *i really wanna play GBA game on my ds -___- i need to get that thing too*

since im in asia ... the R4 thing is like everywhere .. ... ..

r4 -.... it play mp3 but well what do you expect from ds go get ipod .. ;D
    can do background :3 to for the ds
    my bg for my ds
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/Eri_kasamoto/l_193a5c6cea00602f958c7ec89b8b5329.jpg

well both of the console is worth my money .. :3

20. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

obviously, just nds... why??... because there is no such thing as a gba with touch screen, so, they don't support that function...