1. This forum is in read-only mode.

is my R4DS dying?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by calvin_0, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well my R4 just corrupted my SD card, so i got it reformatted, and today i got stuck at loading when i boot my R4DS.....i though my system file corrupted again, so i replace the file, and it work fine, up until i save, quit and power off, when i reboot my DS, my R4DS stuck on Loading again......

so is my R4DS dying?

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

IF it's fake or really old, then prehaps...

But also, these flashcards don't have much of a life span-they are pirating tools are are meant to wear out-unlike actual games, where an NES can out live these by heaps XD

My acekard has permanent marks on the brass chip part-the poor dude selling them couldn't explain it, mine had the least amount of marks XD

So in a short answer-prehaps...

3. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

The problem seems to be the SD card not the flashcart.

I recommend buying a new MicroSD card, prepherably the most known brands like sandisk etc.

I had a similar problem to yours. A new MicroSD card fixed it all.

4. calvin_0

i run a quick test using my extra SD card, unless that SD card is also broken, it seem like my R4DS is indead dying...... oh well, i'll try it with my friends R4DS when i can.....hopefully i still can get R4Ds on the market.....

5. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...why don't you try an acekard-they don't make fakes of those-and are quite trust worthy-and don't require dldi patching :)

2.1 is what I run, but the 2i is good is your thinking about dsi usage :)

If you still really want an r4-not sure if you already know or not-but be aware of the fakes...some good and bad...

BTW, what brand do you use of SD cards,if it's the same brand it may be the issue- not el-cheapo brand types XD

6. calvin_0

well i been using R4DS for almost 2 years now..... so i'm abit lazy to learn a new card.

edit: oh ya, my SD and Flash Drive are all from Kingston.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

2 years-jesus, they don't last long these cards do they?

I wonder how long my acekard shall last ???

As for the brand-before I moved to ds and psp romming, I used a kingston CF card for my gbaMP-still going strong :)

(in otherwords-it's not the brand-though I would use scandisk more, simply because all the major shops stock mostly them...)

8. calvin_0

ya, almost 2 years, same age as my DS, and mine is the spring loaded version, and the spring is still function like charm, so i really wonder how then hell people broke thier spring......

alittle more test,it seem it can read, but not write, so i still can use my Nitro Hax and that mean i still can use pokesav XD

and, kingston is really famous in malaysia, every computer shop carry kingston's product.

9. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

there's not much to learn, it's all based on the same thing: put ROMs in the microSD, put microSD in the flashcard, turn on DS, select game. simple as that. CycloDS and Acekard are some of the best, so try those ones (for your sake, not mine).

10. calvin_0

how about theme, cheats and save file format? still the same?

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Easier. Like with the CycloDS you don't have to worry about Arm7 patching or changing save types. Cheats are easily enabled when starting the games, themes are easily changed and created with tools you can download form Team Cyclops' website.

12. calvin_0

no, i mean to update the cheat database, i update the ar database manually (with the R4DS provided program), so it that similar?

edit: and by save file i mean can i send the save file into original cart without any conversion?

13. TirithRR

Well, CyloDS has it's own cheat database editor that comes in the package called "EVO Tools" From what I've seen it's not that different from R4CCE, just for the EVO format.

14. calvin_0

k, so which one ios better? CycloDS or Acekard?

15. TirithRR

CycloDS is better for the DS Phat and Lite. But is more expensive.

Acekard2i is your best bet if you have a DSi though. Since the Cyclo team doesn't have a DSi card yet.

16. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

from what i've seen, read and heard, the cyclods has the edge, small though. any of them should serve you greatly.

17. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

R4CCE can read .evocheats. It was based on existing formats to be easily worked into reading with the firmware. Cheats are already easy to enable in the first place, it only takes one step. Themes is as easy, you just have them in assorting directories that the firmware is familar with, and hit Select for the R4. And usually, you don't even need GUI tools, just replace the images with your own, and build your own configuration. Even then, you can use the Alice tool etc. I'd just say that the Cyclo has the features that make it worth it, like the Automatic patcher for protected games, provided the protection methods and functions remain unchanged, and in-game text reader etc. :)

18. killer69

killer69 Well-Known Member

just want to know with acekard 2.1, can it run with a micro sdhc card?

19. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

20. calvin_0

k, CycloDS is my target.......hopefully i can find it in malaysia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.