1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Is getting an r4 right now a good idea?

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by notsa, Jun 17, 2010.

1. notsa

notsa New Member

I'm looking to get a flash card for my DS (original, not DS Lite or DSi), and I'm wondering if the original R4 is a good idea. The new Wood firmware is apparently good, and the R4 is significantly cheaper than any other flash cart - I'm looking to get it from http://realhotstuff.com/r4ds-microsd-bundle-p-184.html for $15 (comes with a 2GB card). It looks like a legit R4, not a clone. Are there any real downsides to an R4, given that I don't need DSi compatibility and the 2GB limit doesn't bother me?

2. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

dont get an r4, its really difficult to be sure they are original, since they dont make them ages ago, besides it only reads up to 2gb sd cards. get acekard 2i which is more expensive, but sdhc cards are supported, and besides, wood is based on this cards firmware, or get the supercard dstwo, which has great compatibility, and can support gba emulator without the need of a slot 2 flash

3. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

I don't know about realhotstuff, but http://shoptemp.com/ sell original R4s that are guaranteed to run Wood R4. If the 2GB limit definitely doesn't bother you, then I'd definitely advise you to get one.
    Or if you'd prefer, the Acekard 2i is good. But I'd recommend shoptemp for either. The only issue with them is that they ship from China so can take a while.
    So to re-cap, only get an R4 if you can be sure it's an original (all clones won't run Wood R4).

4. notsa

notsa New Member

Thanks for the advice. I looked at shoptemp and was a bit put off by the 2-5 week shipping time, but looking around, people in Canada (where I live) are saying that it's usually about 1.5 weeks, which is pretty good. How is shoptemp for reliability? ie., is it worth going for the extra $2.50 for the registered airmail, or is normal mail good enough?

5. biomonkxl

biomonkxl Well-Known Member

No don't buy an R4. It is too old and everyone has one

6. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

Well, neither of those are reasons not to get one. It seems that notsa knows all the bad things about the original R4 already (no SDHC support, no RTS, etc). As for shipping, you can get the $1 airmail, or the free airmail, or if you want you can get the registered one. But they're all good.

7. xakota

xakota Well-Known Member

Normal mail is fine. Shoptemp is the most reliable place around. I got my Acekard in exactly one week.

8. linkfan551

linkfan551 Well-Known Member

It is a fine card with Wood R4. It doesn't have SDHC support (2GB card max) or RTS, etc but otherwise it is fine.

Just order from shoptemp to ensure it will work with Wood.