1. This forum is in read-only mode.

IRC

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by The_Fox, Jul 20, 2009.

1. The_Fox

The_Fox Well-Known Member

As a fellow website builder, you'd be suprised how effective a java applet for IRC is.

It can really ease the use of it, and also you could make better use of the 'community' feel it offers, with having the user to go to the trouble of downloading mIRC.

I'd suggest pjIRC, for obvious reasons, it's so easy to setup for what it does, it's rather impressive customisation way.

Also, I'd suggest running a 'user' bot on your IRC network, that tracks when the latest rom has been updated, again, creating less hassle for the user.

If any of this has been done, please /facepalm me lol.

If you'd need any help, I'd be more then happy to offer a hand, providing a bot, or creatingthe java applet for you to link too..

2. Reider

Reider Modereider

We actually have all of that already besides the java applet and I'm not sure when or if they're going to put that in since its been asked for a few times and nothing has come out of it yet. =/

irc.imperium.ca #romulation

If you're interested. Fair warning though, the rules are really lax in there compared to the forum and some of our regulars aren't exactly newbie-friendly. =/

3. The_Fox

Lol I run 4 IRC servers xD

3 of which I host for friends and payment, lol.

If it was 'newbie' friendly, it wouldn't be IRC..

And as for the Java, it's really not that hard to set up..

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

We dislike java applets. Additionally, having IRC chat visible the site would really ruin our reputation, it needs to be kept separate

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It's not that I'm against the applet, I just don't want the RomU IRC channel made that readily available, lets just say that there are characters in IRC who prefers a good laugh on other people expense. It'd scare a lot of people off of RomU IRC and possibly even the site.

6. The_Fox

I completely understand what you're saying, but with the correct protection in place, you could keep said characters away.

And, well, to be blunt the only bad thing that could occur is the little kids who insult a few people.. which with the silly MSL coding could be kept at bay.

7. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Hey... I'm not a little kid, I'm 25 years old. :)

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you've evidently never been on our IRC.

9. The_Fox

@TirithRR: Lol.

@Loonylion: I have actually :p Not as bad as other servers I've been on.