1. This forum is in read-only mode.

iPods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troublesome222, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Troublesome222

Troublesome222 Well-Known Member

Hey, this is an all round iPod thread. Well, not really, It can be after my question is answered.

Should I get an iPod 8Gig or 16Gig?
    If I get the 8, my dad buys it for me.
    If I go for the 16, I have to pay him roughly $67 for it.

What should I do internet?

2. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

How much music do you have?

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

How much music do you care to have? If you're going to have 8 Gigs there's going to be some stuff you don't want to listen to, same with 16 gigs but with more music you don't want to listen to at a certain time. Although with 16 Gigs if you're in the mood for something, you'll have it on the iPod, with the 8 gig, there's a chance you won't.

A bit confusing but yeah.

iTunes sucks.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I agree it sucks, but you can't beat the space...

I once had a 30GB classic-now I switched to a 120GB and gave my partially busted one to my brother-it only freezes every now and then, and reseting won't help...

I hate the way ittunes works-can't mass delete-but it works when you don't have over 12GB of songs XD

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

If you have a choice, don't get an ipod. There's plenty of better MP3 players out there. If you look through all the hype and marketing spin, ipods are pretty mediocre to be honest.

6. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Said the same thing about the iPhone.

Either way, be sure to hack it to add customizable themes, apps, and whatnot.

$67 for double the space? Why not?

7. Loonylion

It's true of both.

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...I have to admit-I only got mine for the storage space-the songs on the ipod can't be straight up moved in and out, and if you wish to delete alot of them-it's a pain-only 1 by one...

But other than how easy they break and itunes usage-what's the deal with them?

9. Loonylion

mediocre sound quality and DRM for a start. Also the battery lifetime (how long it lasts before it no longer holds charge) is pretty poor, and it isn't user replaceable.

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

True-though 32 hours on the 120GB is better than the 12 on the old 30GB I had...

Must be a marketing thing-small steps in advancments means more cash stretched out I guess.

11. Loonylion

I'm not talking about battery runtime, I'm talking about how many times it can be charged before it is permanently dead.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Oh-then yess ipods are crap-wish I could find another brand that could hold more than 12GB of music :(

13. Loonylion

my iriver holds 20GB currently, I'm planning on putting an 80GB hard disk in it though. The H340 can be modded up to 250GB (so can the H320, but its harder because of the physically smaller case).

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I wish I could mod things myself-I know of no-places that mods mps players for me...

But would my music collection stop at 80GB-who knows (buget wise-that's as high as I'd pay for)...

How's that go-straight click drag?

15. Loonylion

yes. Modding is easy, its just a case of changing the hard disk. The H320 is 20GB, the H340 is 40GB. Battery runtime is around 16 hours with the internal battery, (you can install higher capacity ones for even more runtime) and there is an external battery pack that uses 4 AA batteries to give around 3x the runtime of the internal battery. The one I have is nearly 6 years old and the original battery still gives me almost 16 hours.

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

So it's just a case of screwing and un-screwing?

...I should have known...but the parts-where from...and I can't shop online...

Maybe when my NEW ipod dies-I'm starting to enjoy modding things after I did my psp XD

17. Loonylion

its certainly easier if you can shop online, and the 340 is easier to mod (it can take an 8mm high hard disk, whereas the 320 can only take a 5mm high one unless you remove the rubber padding). This means if you want to leave the padding intact, and have the case close properly (without nicking the back off a 340), the 320 maxes at 80GB, because thats the biggest 5mm hard disk available, whereas the 340 can go up to 250gb and still close with the padding intact.

Both models take Toshiba 1.8 inch hard disks.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I best note this down-your informitive as always loony :)

19. Troublesome222

Troublesome222 Well-Known Member

I kinda want to get an ipod touch. It does so many more things.
    And DRM doesn't bother me, I don't buy music.

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

If those are like the iphone-save your cash...get a real games machine XD