1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Installing Completly New Firmware - Acekard

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by kaiser20xx, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kaiser20xx

kaiser20xx Guest

I had searched the forum, but failed to find the same case as complex as mine.

Short Story:
    How to change my newly fresh flashcart into Acekard2? Is it possible to change R4 flashcart for Acekard firmware?

Long Story:
    If you got bored w/ your life, please read.
    The first firmware I used was R4, and have been updated regularly into R4 Kernel ever since. But then came my friend. He offered me to change my firmware into his. It's been awhile, so I forgot the name of the new firmware. But it works brilliantly. The obvious change I know is the xxx.sav file changed into xxx.nds.sav, so I figured it was actually Acekard - could be wrong. Until today, I have never update my firmware.
    And it all began when I want to play Okamiden and Radiata Stories. I stuck at those 2 games w/ AP; can't slash the pillar and endless new game. I had thought all I need was update the firmware. I was wrong.
    Now, at this point, I already forgot that my friend had made a change to mine. So I thought I was using Kernel.
    I read at some post that even updated can't make R4 play those games. So...I changed into Acekard....and failed. The result: a mess up flashcart who still questioning the identity of itself; can't play any games.
    ...End of ranting...

Please people, help me. I need some enlightenment. And thanks for advance...

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Full name of your cart and the website for the cart would help immensely. It sounds like he threw the Wood kernel on there which is a kernel made for the R4, built around the AcekardRPG source code (it being open source is pretty awesome for the right people). I need to know exactly what cart you have though, as it could be a plethora of R4's with how many times people have made (generally poor) ports of the Wood kernel.

To answer your original question, no. Flash carts are a little too complex generally for any drastic changes like that to be able to be made.

3. kaiser20xx

kaiser20xx Guest

So I can't change into Acekard, only R4 varian?

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I can help you out, but only if you give me specific details. There are an incredible amount of carts with R4 in the name, and every single one of them works differently. Nothing but the Acekard 2.1 and the Acekard 2i (2.1 that works on DSi and now 3DS) can use the official AKAIO kernel, and I can only think of one R4 clone off the top of my head that is actually an Acekard clone that has a couple versions of AKAIO made for it.

Like I said, exact cart name and site on the front of the cart are needed if you want help to get new games running. I know you're running the Wood kernel judging by the details given, but that's still not all that helpful at this point. Even if you can just give me a picture of the front of the cart, that would very helpful.

5. kaiser20xx

kaiser20xx Guest

Hey! Good news! I can play those games now!

Truth is I still don't understand completely what happens.
    Anyway, since I forgot where I put the case box I randomly guess the flashcart type, which is R4DS. No matter. In your previous post you said that mine can't be changed into Acekard, right. So, that must means that my friend gave Wood R4 Kernel, the latest type of R4 I can think of. Now, I know that all I have to do is reinstall it. Match that w/ pre-patched rom now I can play the game past that dreaded AP!

Now I realize, at the start, all I need to do was the pre-patched rom. That is stupid.
    Well, at least things turns for the better.

And it's all thanks to you! Thank you my friend, I forever indebted to you, seriously