1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Increased Spam, Pointless posts and Gobbley Gook.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Almo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Ive noticed with the quick rise of a few members (name suppression granted), a huge increase in pointless 'spam' posts. Firstly I would like to ENCOURAGE posts be more than 5 words long, and actually contain some sort of useful or relevant information.
    Posts such as ' Yeah I guess' , 'Im leaving now by' ,' see ya' and many other useless clogging posts have no place here.

Yes I agree that the forum is a community, useful for communication and sharing information, but draw the line guys its not a bloody chatroom!!!
    We have a perfectly good IRC channel for chat like this, Im not saying drop the chat altogher, just take it to IRC.

There are plenty of easy ways for you to access the IRC room. Clients such as mIRC, or plug-ins for your browser such as Chatzilla (firefox) are both easy and quick to set up. If you need a help there are threads posted on how to connect and set up, if you have further problems feel free to PM me for any help and ill walk you through the entire process (only if you really need help).

Personally I'd love to see more of you in IRC chatting in real time and interacting with the community members. Im on when I have the time so come and join me and the other RomUlation members for a chat, you dont know what your missing :p

Also finally I would like to encourage and suggest that you global mods remove posts like these to help keep the forum generally on topic and clean and tidy. (yes that means you Winter!)

Cheers for the time guys.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You got Yeah I Guess from me didn't ya :D? And Drag.... enough said.

3. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I will not name people as ive done it too, though not the extent of some. If you wish to admit it then thats up to you.

4. anandjones

Yeah I have said that before but I won't do it again.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Reider, if you want more people on IRC then stop assaulting them the second they connect, you're scaring them off :p (that's if they aren't already scared off by rumours of Winterr's 'attachment' to kids :p)

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

lol loony yeah thats gonna bring the punters in! ans Im assuming that reider send you the PM, therefore thought the thread was written by reider... Did you even read the post loony? or just turned up and spammed :p

7. anandjones

Haha Winter's 'attachment' to kids. I do go on IRC from time to time though.

8. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

nice to see that posted. like it.

i'll try to keep myself on topic. ;)

9. adrelith

adrelith Well-Known Member

I totally agree. It's spam posts like those that have made me read less and less of the topics here, simply because I can't be bothered going through the useless posts. I know that a lot of people don't realise they're doing anything wrong, and sometimes just need a reminder about what a forum is about. Most of us have a slip now and then anyway, it's just not something you want happening all the time. Hopefully we'll see less spam now and more engaging and relevant topics and posts.

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Stickied, also the irony of the spam in this very topic isn't funny. Stop it.

11. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Well, at lease people wont spam the crap out of the forums to try and catch up with other members.

12. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

I totally agree. The IRC channel is dead most of the time, and I want to see more people around. I've seen some people spamming irrelevant and/or unhelpful posts, and I feel that this should stop. (And Almo, you used the wrong "you're".)

13. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Cheers for all the support guys :) ^ and thanks grammar nazi lol

14. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if I caused any of this trouble. I wont spam since its harms me and you :p

15. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

Looalll.. u gta good point man but some peeps jus Love to have tha most posts they can Get... i no how sad it is but some peeps are like that.. sad people i swear

16. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Please dont use shorthand or leet speak its against the forum rules.

17. DragonQuester

DragonQuester Well-Known Member

I know Ive done it before. I am terribly sorry guys :p

18. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

No need to keep apologizing, it's just an issue that has been identified and now we can move on and make RomUlation even better than before. The problem with too much internal joking is that it scares off new people who might be looking for a serious discussion on something, and without new people this forum will eventually die and wither, it might last for a year or two but eventually it will be too tedious for people to read spam and inside jokes all the time without any real discussions.