1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Incestuous bible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnnieBob, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I know this may be controversial, but I have seen 2 counts of incest-ness in the bible...
    First, the Adam and eve idea? If they had 2 kids, they would have to be incest with each other/parents.
    Second, a part where 2 girls try to get their dad drunk to impregnate one of them... So the bible says not comit adultery but commend incestrious-ness?

ps. Sorry if this offends people.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Yes, the Bible is full of contradictory statements and messages, and people only follow that which they want to follow. It has been this way for thousands of years.

3. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

And if a Christian is confronted with these contradictions, he will promptly brush aside the topic and offer to play a nice game of chess.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

or call you a heretic.

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It is how all religious sects were formed. Rather than change yourself to fit the religion, you change the religion to fit yourself. That way you can still worship without changing or giving up anything your previously wanted to do. Like with Henry VIII and the Protestants (I believe that's who was behind it).

6. Sythian

Sythian Well-Known Member

No surprised the bible is full of contradictions like this. I don't mean to offend anyone but I am very seriously against the idea of believing solely in one set of ideals laid out by someone else. To follow a bible which both forbids and encourages the same acts in the same book honestly does seem a bit stupid to me. I have nothing against other people believe in whatever they want to, just as long as those beliefs aren't forced onto others, because it's references like these that I'll quite happily bring up in contradiction.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Pretty much.

8. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I was expecting a topic like this to be flamed and bashed, but this brings up a good point.

This is just one of the contributing factors to derailing the validity of the Bible down to just "stories," not factual, nor dogma.

9. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

HERETICS? HERETICS!

[​IMG]

10. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I forgot where..but I heard some of the bible was mistranlated years ago.

The original txt say's something about god creating the earth-the REAL translation was he "spatially sperated" the world, everything was there, he just split it up...of course without evidence and with only what I heard on a short tv news story...let's not go here.

All I do know is the bible is one strange crazy book to actually read-I'm just surprised they haven't made a new bible with some of this stuff ommitted in it yet...or am I out of the loop?

11. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

I have to ask....were you looking for these "loopholes" on purpose...?
    Never knew people would analyse everythng so throughtly. :p

12. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Alright, let's hold off on the perpetual (and dare I say immature) religion bashing for a moment and consider things objectively.
    The Bible neither advocates nor condemns incest. Never is it said "go forth and have incestuous relations", nor "thou shalt not have incestuous relations". In Biblical times, it was a matter of course to marry their cousins or other relatives as they saw fit; it wasn't a social or moral taboo as it is now. Also, adultery simply refers to the act of having consensual sex with someone other than your spouse.

If I just "brushed aside" that so-called contradiction, then I'll take that game of chess now.

Y'know, I find it ironic that the majority of internet-goers are staunch advocates of things like freedom of speech, pro-choice, gay marriage and so on, yet they hate on religion and the freedom to believe what you want.

13. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

off topic, ah man i have a fatty grey knight puritan army on the build at the moment.

on topic

half the reason there is so much the contradicts it's self is because it has constantly been changed to compromise between the different beliefs of the people within the religion.
    take for example "the father, son and holy ghost" bit this was a compromise as some believed him to be the son and some god him self in human for and the holy ghost part was added to agree that he could be both mortal man and divine at the same time.
    a simple thing that shows you why the entire book is that way.

and really if you know anything of Christian history, all Christian theology and ideas/beliefs are far from what Jesus taught anyway so if you want to be a good Christian you need to ignore nearly the entire book.

14. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

but surely freech speach allows us to hate on religion, or is it like the three laws of robotics? where i'm only allowed to critisize religion if it does not breech the first and seconds laws. I think alot of the time religion acts as if it was above criticism which only spurs on the the hate.

15. boombam

boombam New Member

If you consider the bible closely you will find that Adam and Eve were perfect at first(IE.they were meant to live forever),It was when they sinned they lost perfection and everlasting life.So there children were imperfect now and needed to reproduce to carry on life to the human race so Cane had to marry his sister to have children..and if you think about it were all "kissing cousins"in that were all descendant's of adam and eve,So when you marry someone your marrying your distant relative...

Thank's boom

16. equitypetey

people bash on religion because it is and purposelessly teaches against free-speech, the gain of knowledge, pro-choice, gay marriage, personal opinions, science, medicine, other religions, intelligence and so on.

17. tehuber1337

There's a difference between expression of beliefs and condemnation of others' beliefs. It's a hypocrisy that's, ironically enough, just as bad as the religious hypocrisy commonly deemed far more worthy of criticism.
    Allow me to declare Hypr's beloved hasty generalisation fallacy here. The very notion of theism seems to connote all these other teachings you listed, but that's not necessarily the case and never was. There are many religions with many different beliefs, and many denominations within these religions with further variations, and so on and so forth.

18. equitypetey

do you not think i know that already but i was again generalizing a majority view of the most common religions (Christianity and Islam)
    which are the ones that have those views, other religions don't get bashed because they don't cause the same issues

19. tehuber1337

My point still stands.

20. equitypetey

so does mine :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.