1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I'm a noob

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by sonicfreak, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicfreak

sonicfreak Member

:(

A friend of mine just recently got me interested in the emulator thing. So, i decided, "Hey i should try that out, sounds like fun". So yesterday I downloaded Harvest Moon: Friends Of Mineral Town, and VisualBoy Advance 1.8.0 beta3. I unzipped the emulator, opened it up, went to open and selected Harvest Moon: Friends Of Mineral Town then i got this error code.

No image found on Zip file (insert lots of numbers and the name of the ROM)

What is wrong and how do i fix it?

I am using a laptop with a 1.6ghz CPU and 512 MB of ram.
    if this is already posted somewhere else, please give me the link.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

You need to extract the ROM from the file you downloaded. Using a program like WinRAR from http://www.rarlab.com/

3. sonicfreak

sonicfreak Member

ok, I have WinRAR. now what?

4. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

Ultimate-Sonic-3000 Well-Known Member

NO! Get JZip from www.jzip.com because WinRAR is a shareware program but JZip is a freeware program.

5. sonicfreak

sonicfreak Member

well, crap. Its kind of late now. (wait, lets pretend i don't know the difference between Share- and Freeware)

6. TirithRR

Ultimate, stop confusing the new people. WinRAR is perfectly fine.

Sonic, follow this tutorial.
    https://www.romulation.org/forum/index.php?topic=3880.0

(I hate it when people pipe up after an answer was given saying "NO don't use that program which works perfectly fine!!!!")

As far as the real difference between the two:
    WinRAR gives you the option to buy a license, but it's not necessary to use it.
    Jzip gives you the option to donate to the developers, but it's not necessary to use it.

7. sonicfreak

sonicfreak Member

Thank you for caring! ;D
    It is working now.

(I know what you mean!)

8. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

I know it works but it's a shareware program (sonicfreak, it means it includes a free trial and you need to buy the full version) :( ...

9. TirithRR

Stop lying.

You don't "need" to buy the "full" version. You can use it forever without paying a single penny.

10. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

Trust me, I used WinRAR before and in the top part it said, "5 days left"!

11. TirithRR

Your ignorance is showing ;)

I've been using it for years, the license is entirely optional. The program continues to work 100% capacity even after the first 40 days.

12. Ultimate-Sonic-3000

That's probaly because you used the earlier versions...

13. TirithRR

Nope, I'm using the latest version. 3.80

The license is optional, the program works 100% even after the 40 days, it never stops working, you never have to pay. If you used the program, you'd know this.

14. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

as far as everyone says, the license is optional. after it "expires" it will prompt you to register but you will still be able to continue using it without buying it, much like the mIRC client.

besides, you COULD always get 7-ZIP instead

15. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I also have 3.80 WinRAR and been using it for quite some time and it bitches at me to pay but I still have not problems using it, plus I'm using 7zip as well.

16. sonicfreak

sonicfreak Member

so basically, I should say that WinRaR is heads and 7-Zip is tails, call it in the air, and i would be totally fine?

17. Jiminy Crickets

Jiminy Crickets Well-Known Member

Man I don't know how many times I have seen this same old argument on these forums. Some one will ask how to open a .rar file or something and then someone refers them to winrar leading to someone else saying that it will expire get this one or that one and they go on and on, It's quite funny to see it over and over and over. Oh well what can you do? I just sit back an find it humorous.

18. Sparblaze

Sparblaze Member

I've been using Winrar for 5 years without having to pay once. I just hit the X when the popup shows up.

19. Jiminy Crickets

Jiminy Crickets Well-Known Member

Yea, I have Winrar, Winzip, and 7zip. I have full versions of all of them and I got them for free! Well 7zip is free no matter what I think but stilll hey I don't see what all the hub bub is about.

20. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Issue resolved ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.