1. This forum is in read-only mode.

If you've ever downloaded a rom, read this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tapwatah, Dec 8, 2007.

1. tapwatah

tapwatah Well-Known Member

Sorry, by the topic it looks like I'm going to be stupid and say all the roms have a trojan.

http://www.dailymotion.com/Thunderllama/video/5453478

Watch this video.

2. lav-kib

lav-kib Member

torrents arent illegal

but i wish everytime i let my friends play on my ds with m3 m3 they would turn into a pirate

but i doubt that the police are going to bust into your house and tackle you just because you downloaded a song if so it would have happened about 3 years ago because for one to many people do it and two unless you go into public and say you download roms i doubt they will find you

3. jacoblam365

jacoblam365 Well-Known Member

Actually this did happen in the US. If you live in the US and pay attention to the news, you'll noticed a Download user got sue and convicted guilty of downloading Music. She is not a uploader, or host of the files. She just download. I forgot her name, but i am sure if you check with google news, you'll find it. I think they did this on purpose, did a random sue of the downloader just to tell you that, even though capturing the uploader maybe the best way, BUT if you download, is also illegal and we have the right to catch you too. Is a warning to all downloader. Beside, without the demand of downloader, where will the uploader be?

Downloader always give excuse about torrent isn't illegal. Yes, it isn't illegal. But what about the content you downloaded? I am sure the people who used this excuse will not always download free ware or legal downloadable software through torrent. I am sure 99% of the time, the download is some copyrighted illegal material for download. This make it illegal, no matter how legal the way or method you're using.

Oh BTW. In places like Hong Kong, is not just one case, they actually continually capture downloaders in addition to uploaders. Probably because HK is a smaller area, so is easier to control. All they did to do is track down your ip. So the piracy in Hong Kong did improve. Now usually all the pirate will come from inland China where the Hong Kong custom have no access to.

Yeah, so this happen.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

That doesn't apply to all torrents, not even most. Torrent applications and torrent files are totally legal, and are often used for legal purposes (an example of this would be Blizzard using torrent to provide patches for World of Warcraft), however, most things downloaded via torrents are illegal and copyright materials. Just cause you're downloading NDS from torrents, doesn't mean they're legal, remember.

As for the video, it doesn't really accomplish any new kind of opinion. Aside from that, P2P (LimeWire, BearShare, etc) are dying due to the power of rapidshare and torrents. You could call torrents P2P, but.. ah, whatever.

EDIT: Oops, jacoblam365 beat me to the post. He's right, though. And it's not just one person, they make random examples out of people (most of which aren't even heavy pirates). One lady (might be the same one you're referring to?) caught some attention in the media. Some single mother with 4(?) children downloaded a couple songs, they're suing her for an absurd amount of money, they basically fucked her life over. And what does that accomplish? Nothing. The RIAA, the MPAA, all of them, they need to rethink their methods. If they want to change something, they need to go after the big pirates, the guys hosting several TB of illegal data, and what does fucking someone's life do? It's all to make an example, and it's not right.

5. jacoblam365

jacoblam365 Well-Known Member

Hey Void, i think we're talking about the same case on the media. If i remember correctly, the mom have to pay $222,000 USD fine.

$9,250 for each song, and she downloaded 24 songs. total 222 000 USD.

You can pay for a house with 24 songs. hahaha

6. lav-kib

lav-kib Member

how the he// did they find her

but still i think the way i do it is more safe try sharetube you find the video on youtube put in the url and it ripps the sound ive gotten some viruses from limewire

but still there are ton's of people that download music from p2p things i dont think could find all of them

7. silent sniper

silent sniper Active Member

i've been taking my chances for years.

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I've been active in one way or another with Warez/ROMs since I was 12, that's 7 years now, never had any shit... But then again, I'm not in the US so that might have an effect.

9. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

Got my first rom, Rockman & Forte, and a translation patch, when I was what, 9? Yeah, must have been 8 or 9 years old.
    I remember giving mates a series of floppies with ZSNES and what I considered (and still consider) the "must have" SNES games. Yup, those were good piratical times.
    Had parental support in this, too. Dad loves the piracy just as much as me, and he's a priest now.
    The argument is finally settled - Jesus cannot be a ninja, because he's a pirate. Arrrr-men!

10. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

When are they gonna start realizing they are charging too much for a crappy piece of CD?

11. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Nice video. Torrents aren't illegal, but most of the files shared are. I live with a band of pirates. Well, only my mom, actually. It took me fifteen minutes to explain to my dad how peer-to-peer works.

This reminds me of something a watched a while back...
    http://www.sheezyart.com/view/821125/

12. vat2nike

vat2nike New Member

I feel discouraged now...

13. Peach_is_Awesome

Peach_is_Awesome Well-Known Member

Did the mother even know they were downloading songs?
    That is VERY unfair. I don't think her children hosted anything either! That's messed up. Now THIS is a REAL legal issue. (This needs to be fixed, but how? Just screwing someone's life just to threaten others is unfair, because the person who was screwed did not (or barely did) host anything and may have not done anything illegal.)
    Now I'm freaking out.
    The good news, is that there are probably only 400 out of a million people who have ever got in trouble for roms or song downloads.

14. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

The video is good, but torrents ARE the source of all things which are good and illegal

15. Mikeyface

Mikeyface Member

To be fair, it costs a lot to make music CDs.

Don't use the "it costs like 50p" bullshit as an argument.

The record label has to pay for the recording studio, pay for the band (because it's their job), pay for a producer, promotion, artwork (finding an artist AND getting everything printed), distribution, pressing and then they have to make money to support the salaries of the people in the record label and also make money to further the bands (and labels) future career (put money aside to fund gigs, merch and the next record)

CDs aren't that expensive. You pay £10 for a CD. That's the price of a pizza, which will last you an evening, a good CD you'll probably listen to dozens of times.... and if the album isn't that good, just buy the tracks you want off iTunes or something.

Not that I don't support downloading - I download stupid amounts of music, then I buy the stuff I know I'll listen to often.

So yeah, main argument - downloading music is completely up to the individual, as long as they accept there may be concequences (overly severe, I do admit) but if you choose to download music, don't blame it on the cost of CDs, because they're not so bad.

16. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Exactly how I believe downloading should be, a preview, not a mean to gain free stuff. Of course, I don't believe for a second that there aren't people who see it at a means to gain free stuff. :)

17. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

with cd's you used to be able to do what you want with them - despite the cost i could rip them as many times as i felt like. but with sites like itunes, tou pay what? 79p for a song you can't get in mp3 format, so is only compatible with selected devices, AND is locked so you can only play it on an authorised system and ipod. AND if you loose the song you have to pay to get it back. frankly this DRM thing is a real annoyance, more so with high defenition cntent, where you not only have to buy a compatibel graphica card but also a compatible monitor - which don't come cheap either

i have a number of mp3 playing devices - including my nintendo ds - and if i buy music i want to be able to put it on all my mp3 players and use them. cd's can be used in any disc player, why not DRM?

18. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Well I don't know bout you but from where I come, original CD's cost 40bucks in my currency. And they sell millions of copies worldwide, you think they don't make more than enough? Even with piracy around, your favourite singers aren't exactly broke saps don't you think?
    I do admit it's wrong. You may not realize it but some people don't exactly have the money to buy songs they like. And perhaps you only like one song through out the whole cd. Would you then pay that much cash for just one song?

19. Void

Void Well-Known Member

We're in the same boat. And yeah, artists really don't make a lot of money off of CDs, not more or less than they ever have, and higher CD prices has compensated for the lack of general sales. The real money for artists in in concerts though.

20. O_exe

O_exe Member

No...they took down the happy pirate :'(

As for the discussion on torrents-it's pointless to debate. Arguments go both ways. In the end it just comes down to how fast you can run and how well you can hide ^^

But I find them useful. As an example, here's a story (if you value your life don't read and save your minute for something more useful like helping a kitten stuck in a tree): I downloaded a song I got as a free purchase from some beef jerky code I purchased (puretracks works with them). I was happy :)

Then when I got a new pc I transfered my songs over. Avast! This song says it's trying but cannot acquire the license when I try to play it. Why? Because there's an anti-p2p measure used by the company to prevent the owners from moving their own music to whatever medium they own. I didn't read the fine print where it states it's use is governed under a license that I need to bother backing up on a floppy disk or folder and use that whenever I want to transfer it etc. :p

Not knowing this I decided to use a torrent! I got the song and I continue to live happily as ever. Moral of the story: torrents are good when you own something already and need to redownload it without paying for it again/can't be bothered to go through the waiting with the customer service that doesn't care/want an easy way to download something that's already free and popular (some sites use them to save bandwidth I saw) ;D