1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I.T Homework/Assignment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by forte_amirul, Oct 6, 2009.

1. forte_amirul

forte_amirul Well-Known Member

Dude, don't ask me why I don't know the answer. I was absent. And don't blindly posting " What, you don't know the answer? " . I want the best answer I could get since this is an assignment. Here goes nothing. This is my first time learning about I.T so get your butt out if you want to mock me.

Dateline : Thursday, 8 October 2009.

Assignment #3
    #1 : What's the importance of input and output devices? Status : Done.
    #2 : What is the reason of using touchpad with laptop computer instead of mouse? Done
    #3 : What is the advantage of using mouse over touchpad? Done
    #4 : Is it possible to use light pen with a normal computer? Give the reason for your answer. Done

And I only ask about the questions where I have my doubt or don't know the answer. I did google for review but I like to get a straight answer, fresh from people.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Re: I.T Homework

Hrm, I have no idea, but I'll use one of my own meanings...

Outputs are the end product-one example of an output device is a cd burner, once bruning the cd, it'll leave that as an output.

Input-takes whatever we throw at it so we could edit it-again, cd burner-insert a cd for ripping of useless info and redistribute is as we see fit.

Honestly you should do your homework on your own...but hay-I love to help-just use my answer as a base...it'll give you an "F" if used XD

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they allow you to interact with the computer.

Input devices: keyboard, mouse (pointing device), graphics tablet, microphone, neural impulse actuator (yes they exist) , joystick, gamepad etc
    Output devices: monitor, printer, speakers etc

4. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

everyone already post the answer i'm posting T_T

5. forte_amirul

Read my post again, read carefully why. I already mentioned it. Plus, sometimes I don't know the answer. And I want the importance of input and output devices not example or what it is.

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You could re-intertpit what you wish to say-it may still help if he understands from all meanings :)
    Post Merge: [time]1254835082[/time]
    I read it 4 times-hence my "warning" on why it may fail you.

But knowing the examples may help you find the answer in your own words.

7. calvin_0

input device allow you to input data for the computer to proccess and output device allow the computer to show you the result.

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Or it might just confuse him... Loony had it pretty spot on, those are all important input/output devices.

Then to explain a bit about why they're important you just do an essay about the purpose of computers - processing stuff - and how it cannot be done without some form of input and output - even if it's just archaic punch cards. :)

9. forte_amirul

Looney's the answer is the best.

Now, editing first post .More question. Thank you guys~

10. Loonylion

An input device allows you to enter data into the computer, while an output device informs you of the results of your input.

forte, I strongly suggest you try to get a copy of the British Computer Society IT glossary for schools. I don't think its published anymore, but it will give you a head start in all these kinds of questions. The ISBN is 0-582-31255-8 (amazon http://www.amazon.com/Glossary-Schools-British-Computer-Society/dp/0582312558/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1254835302&sr=8-1, image at http://www.transatlanticpub.com/cat/computers/itgl2558.htm)

11. forte_amirul

Hehehe, thanks for the help. A few questions will be up soon. And yes, don't ask why I ask, I was absent!

12. calvin_0

for IT subject, its best to have a ref book, especially programming.

13. forte_amirul

I know. But the book that I have doesn't giving much information. And the teacher explained about the topic while I was absent. :/

Edit#1 : The book in my possesion right now is indeed good but it doesn't have what I'm searching for.
    Edit#2 : The questions are up!

14. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

answer on number 2 is:
    for portability which the laptop is what for
    number 3
    its easier to navigate with mouse because you use only 1 hand(im not really used a laptop)

15. Loonylion

2) not sure, but I would say the touchpad is built in to the laptop so its more portable and takes up less space. You can't use a mouse on your lap (especially not if the computer is there)

3) Mice are easier to use, theres less chance of it interfering with your typing (when typing on a laptop, the touchpad is under your palm, with the result that you can accidentally move the cursor and end up typing in the wrong place), it takes practice to scroll and click+drag on a touchpad, and the scroll areas can be an annoyance.

4) not sure, but I think it depends on definition of light pen, the words 'light pen' can be used to refer to a barcode scanner or a light wand.

16. bhatooth

light pen for navigating? that more sophisticated than touchscreens

17. Loonylion

light pens as mice (actually a light wand) are actually old technology, and I don't see why a normal computer (with a CRT monitor) wouldn't be able to use them, they just detect whether or not a pixel is lit. A computer with an LCD monitor probably wouldn't work though.

18. calvin_0

2. What is the reason of using touchpad with laptop computer instead of mouse?

- Laptop computer is design to be a protable device, so having a mouse instead of touchpad would make it troblesome to use as you will need to plug in an addional device instead of having it build in.

3. What is the advantage of using mouse over touchpad?

- freedom, as touchpad provide the same function as mouse, touchpad have a very limited space to work with, so certain action that require one move on mouse might require two or more move with touchpad.

4. Is it possible to use light pen with a normal computer? Give the reason for your answer.

- Light Pen can be use with normal computer as sense the changes on the mornitor brightness on the point of the screen.

19. bhatooth

never seen one it must be awesome
    so its impossible?
    im actually answering someones assignment i dont even asnwer mine

20. calvin_0

ever play with a light gun? (house of the dead, time crisis) same tech.