1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I require some assistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troublesome222, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Troublesome222

Troublesome222 Well-Known Member

Here's the basic story:
    I want to get a cat.
    My mom doesn't want a cat that sheds all over the place (24/7).
    I don't like the creepy hairless breeds because they are creepy.
    ----

Does anyone know any breeds of cats that (combined with outdoor time) wouldn't shed all the time?
    Please do help me.

2. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

Never get purebreds unless you're prepared to deal with a myriad of health problems that shouldn't even exist. If you don't want a cat that sheds, just aim for short-hair. My beautiful cat is a mutt, and everyone always asks how much he cost and what breed he is... And he doesn't shed, and he's exceedingly kind, and very witty and clever, and always playful and friendly, and...

If you want a cat that's like your second shadow and would literally die for you, treat the liebling as if it's your own child. And I mean the child you didn't just throw in the dumpster, yeah?

3. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

If you get a short hair and keep it indoors, it will not shed much. And you can get a grooming brush for it and brush it often to stop it from shedding on all your furniture.

4. MessoMesso

Maintaining the physical fitness of an indoor cat can be quite a job, by the way. Personally, I let my cat out during the day, and he stays home at night. And then we cuddle and sleep together, and sometimes whhen he comes home he brings me presents to my parents' dismay...

If you're planning on giving your cat baths (it's possible and easy, actually), start as a kitten. Unless your cat really trusts and loves you, then I guess you can start as an adult.

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

It's easier to keep in indoor cat healthy than it is an outdoor cat. And even when my cat used to go outside, all he did was sit down in the middle of the lawn and hiss at any animals that walked by. My cat is 11 years old. For the first 10 years he was an outdoor cat. Last year during one of his vet visits he had a cut on his head from a large canine bite. The vet suggested that we keep him indoors because of his age. He said it was like locking an 80 year old up with a bunch of unruly teenagers.

Cats are lazy, sleep most of the time, and are clean. You don't have to worry about house training. Just show them the litter box and keep it clean and they will always use it. Most people that have trouble with cats relieving themselves in the wrong places don't keep the litter box clean enough for the cat.

6. MessoMesso

Ouch, man! I feel sorry for your cat.

Which reminds me, get a cat that suits your lifestyle. Some cats are lazy, some cats are hyper-hyper (WOOO), and some cats just want to hunt all day, every day. If you don't have a lot of free time a lazy cat might be good. And hyper cats need a lot of attention, though it can be rewarding... My cat just wants to hunt all day with his buddehs. He also plays with the neighbourhood dogs.

7. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Some cunt rolled over my cat and it cost me £1000 to have his jaw wired.The first cat I had wasnt allowed outside as the flat I stayed in didnt allow pets.He seemed happy enough.......

8. dementiumboy13

dementiumboy13 Well-Known Member

I have a Sphynx It's a bold cat and He wants to cuddle all day long because he want's heat he's so cute I wanna put a picture of him on but I dunno how... sorry for the bad english I'm dutch

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I think Siamese kats don't shed at all or something?

10. Troublesome222

Troublesome222 Well-Known Member

I may or may not have made it clear, but the hairless cats look creepy... so the ragdoll cat (which no one seemed to mention) is a goof choice.

11. rpgirl

rpgirl Well-Known Member

LOL, I can't even keep a cat cause I stay in apartment...but I love cats..I think american shorthair is pretty good, it's beautiful with its intricate patterns and it's short hair..plus it looks cute..or abbysianian breed..sorry for the spelling....you might want to neuter one too if you don't plan to have kitties all over the place (if it's a female) or ur mum would definitely go bonkers :eek:....If it's a tom, you might consider one too as neutered toms tend to stay indoors and more affectionate..plus they do get fatter = huggable:) And they don't get ticks that often if it's indoors:)