1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I need some help running a game using PCSX on my Mac

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MilesPeyton, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesPeyton

MilesPeyton Member

Hi Romulation,

I am trying to emulate disc 1 of Final Fantasy VII using PCSX on my Mac. I'm currently running Mac OSX version 10.5, with a 2 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I also have 1 gb of DDR2 ram, if that should help. The original file I downloaded was a .bin with a .cue, so I converted it into an ISO using the terminal utility bchunk. After that, I burned the ISO to a disc, and tried to run it with PCSX. When I attempted to run it, all that appeared was a black screen. I'm not sure what's going wrong, I fiddled with the preferences to no avail. It could be the disc that's messing it up, though I have a hunch it's the program. I put the playstation bios file (I'm using scph1000.bin) in the correct directory as well. Does anyone have any ideas why it's not working?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

ePSXe is the best PSX emulator, and you need version 1.5.2 to run squaresoft games.

3. MilesPeyton

MilesPeyton Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a mac version for this...

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you may have to use parallels or bootcamp then. Does PCSX use plugins? trying different ones can sometimes help

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Don't convert the file using utilities, converting Images can cause problems and errors. And when using an emulator, you don't have to burn the image to a disc, you can open the file with the emulator (it is better this way).

Also, there are ways to run Windows software on your Mac, especially now that they use Intel processors.

6. MilesPeyton

MilesPeyton Member

Okay...so do I open the .bin file with PCSX, or do I mount the .bin file first?

7. TirithRR

You should be able to open the bin file (or cue file) with PCSX directly.

8. MilesPeyton

MilesPeyton Member

No...that doesn't seem to work. I think it wants an actual CD...because there's no 'open' option, and even if I open the file with PCSX, it doesn't work.

9. TirithRR

You have to choose a CD plugin that lets you choose the files rather than a drive.

(ePSXe is so much better)

10. MilesPeyton

MilesPeyton Member

Grr...it won't even let me choose a plugin on the preferences. I think I'm just going to give up on it, thanks for your help everybody. And plus, 358/2 days is calling...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.