1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I need R4 help, please.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Fred83, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred83

Fred83 Member

I recently tried to add some new games to my R4.
    However, some of the games I added are not playing.
    My DS keeps showing me this message...

"The game data cannot be accessed. Please turn-off and re-insert game card."

I've done that. Turned off the game and re-inserted the game card that is. Along with many other things.
    Such as:

-Reformatting my R4.
    -Downloading the same games from various Rom sites.
    -Downloading different versions of the game. (eg. U, E, J - language versions)

I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong with my DS or if something is wrong the format of the games I'm downloading...

I download rar and then decompress it... I've been doing everything as I usually do, nothing is different. I've never had any problems with the games before.

Mind you, its only SOME of the games that give trouble. Not all.

I've downloaded..

Zoo Tycoon, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing - These work just fine.

Cooking Mama 3, Pokemon Platinum, Scribblenaughts ... etc. - These are the ones giving trouble.

I'm also thinking that maybe seeing as how Cooking Mama 3 and Pokemon Platinum are all latest games, maybe my DS LITE is not compatible... Somehow? Hmm.. Although I doubt that its the case.

I'm just running out of ideas as to what the problem could be...

If someone would kindly share some ideas and more importantly solutions that would be GRRRRREAT!

Thanks!

-Fred83.

2. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

You might need newer firmware, the games you mentioned look like they have anti piracy protection.

Check the "common issues" thread.

If you were a fellow acekard user I'd have an instant solution, since the card is always updated...but r4..depending on which...no idea.

3. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Can you specify what R4 card you have as there are loads of different types of them available (with them being clones and all)
    And can you also specify the firmware that you have so people can have a better understanding of the situation.

4. Fredbox

Fredbox Well-Known Member

You gave us loads of info, but missed out the vital parts, like what firmware you're using, and exactly what card.

5. Fred83

Fred83 Member

I'm THE ULTIMATE NOVICE when it comes to gaming...
    Therefore, I don't know what version of the R4 I have... The box gives no indication. Just says "R4 Revolution for ds".
    I am assume I have a clone.

And I don't understand what you mean by firmware... =S

Sorry.

6. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

Show us a picture if possible...
    And tell us the number you see on the DS screen.
    Its a number like 1.18 or something

7. Fred83

Fred83 Member

=) Oh that helps a lot thanks! I found it... it's Version 1.08

8. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

No its not a clone,

This firmware is updated for R4 revolution for DS cards

Check game list fixes hear

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=9c250b745e11c7526da536e5e9175eb6&showtopic=195808&st=0&start=0

DSTT v1.17a12 For R4 Original User's

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ul242aqmgtj

You can delete firmware of your microDS and replace it with the new!

But if you need your original firmware download it from the main site www.r4ds.com

9. Fredbox

I'd advise going to www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds and finding the 1.18 firmware.

10. Fred83

Fred83 Member

OHMIGOSH! YOU PEOPLE ARE AWESOME!!! IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!
    Thank you to all of you who helped!!

Especially to FredBox! Thanks for sharing that link!!!!

YAY! I'M SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW... IT'S UTTERLY LAME!

hahah. Thanks once again!

<3

11. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

*Happy face*
    Glad the members of RomUlation could assist you with your query.

12. Fredbox

Thanks! I didn't realise I was any more helpful than anyone else. If you ever need any more help, don't hesitate to ask anyone here.

EDIT: I agree with the comment below.

13. ndsrom-peach

ndsrom-peach Well-Known Member

I think the best thing you can do is using ysmenu

14. Notwol

Notwol New Member

The ARM7 patch or, 'The save data could not be accessed...':

The

'Unable to access save data. Please turn the power off and reinsert the DS card.'

or

'The save data could not be accessed. Please turn of power and reinsert the DS card.'

error messages you may receive on certain games is due to a newer executable system file used in these games, known as the ARM7 binary.
    Older cards (such as the R4) are not compatible with this version of the ARM7 binary and will fail to run the game correctly, this is where you see the error message.

The first thing to do to get around this error is to update to the latest loader/firmware for your card. This should be obvious and easy to do, check my other guide to see how to do this if you can't figure it out.
    If the game is still having problems, then you will need to replace the problem ARM7 bin with an older version, which does work - this method has been come to known as the 'ARM7 Patch' or 'ARM7 Fix'.
    To perform this, you will need: 1. The problem game ROM, 2. Another ROM that does work correctly, 3. A ROM patching or extraction app.

For #3, you can download gui_arm7_102.zip. This is a small purpose built program to do the patch (thanks Bad_Ad84).

Once you've downloaded it, extract the two .exe files into a folder somewhere (this is for Windows, if you have another OS I'm sure you can figure out your own method).
    Open up arm7_gui.exe. On the Tools menu, choose Extract ARM7.bin. Now, find and select the #2 ROM, the one that does work correctly on your card.
    This will extract the ARM7.bin file, save this somewhere.
    Now, on the main screen of the patcher, for the first box, select your #1 problem ROM. In the second box, select the ARM7.bin file you've just extracted. In the third box, choose somewhere to save the patched ROM file.
    Then, click Go. If you've done everything right, the game will be patched and saved in the location you chose in the third box.

Try this patched game on your card, it should now work.
    If it still doesn't, try another ARM7.bin from a different donor ROM.
    If it still doesn't, then it just won't work. You'll have to wait for a new loader/firmware for you card to be released, or get a better card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.