1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I need help regarding an (i assume corrupted?) micro sd card

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dreamseller, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamseller

dreamseller Member

I downloaded a game (0469 - Point Blank - USA) and put it on my r4 (latest firmware) I test the game out a little bit, decide to quit and pick another game. When i go back to my folder i get a bunch of random folders titled some random gibberish. I throw the microsd into my computer and see this where my nds games and saves used to be:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/eq5gm0.jpg

As you can see that one folder alone says it is almost 4gb even though it is empty and inaccessible and my card is only 2gb

When i put this game on my microsd there was only about 3mb left after but i didn't think this was a big deal, could it somehow be related?

My overall questions are what happened?, why did this happen? and is there any possible ways for me to revert this card back to what it was a couple of days ago like a system restore, or even just retrieve as many of my save files as possible?

edit: i am not new to the r4 so this isn't me just messing around with stuff that should be left alone or anything

2. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I've never seen anythting like that.

What brand is your MicroSD? Also...do you have any spare MicroSD cards? If you do, I'd give it a go with the game that may have given you the problem, this way it will help find out what gave you the problem, whether it was the R4, MicroSD or the rom.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...That's odd...

Reformat, and place it back in...

I haven't a clue how this happened...

What brand is the card-I use scandisk-never let me down XD

Also...if your man enough for it (it's gonna hurt) just backup the roms, nothing else, start freash...

Even just backing up the saves and stuff might have an effect...

If not, backup the whole card, reformat, and replace...

I'm only saying that because I was dumping a UMD on my psp, but because I fell asleep during the process, the power turned off, and the memory stick has 400mb of data used un-nessacarly (psp-I know-but still worth an add)...

Just incase my answer confused you-reformat, but before you do, back up ONLY the games, or the whole card, my guess is something ion the card has gone nuts, or it's the card itself...

4. locoloko

locoloko Member

Wow, that's crazy.

Try not to fill your entire card next time. I read somewhere that you should leave at least 10% of free space for every card to work correctly, I haven't had a problem since I do that.

5. dreamseller

dreamseller Member

i can't backup games or saves because they are all deleted
    i have a kingston 2gb microsd which really shouldn't be a problem

i was thinking maybe you guys would know some program that could just systerm restore or like this program for cameras (http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital_image_recovery.htm) just recover deleted data

i was reading some things for people who had everything on their cameras deleted and were able to recover all of these different kinds of files:

GIF
    JPEG
    TIFF
    CRW - Canon RAW data
    MOV, AVI movie
    WAV - Waveform audio
    CR2 - Canon CR2 RAW format (see notes below).
    ORF - Olympus RAW format

so maybe there is one that recovers the .sav files?
    this really sucks, i had at least a thousand total hours of save games on here

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

there are programs that restore deleted files of all types, but its not a guaranteed thing.

7. dreamseller

dreamseller Member

none of them recognize any games or .sav's in the games folder
    Post Merge: [time]1246479806[/time]
    anybody know of a program that can do something like a system restore to a microsd card?

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

those are no good, they need to be installed before the thing screws up.

9. dreamseller

dreamseller Member

Well this sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.