1. This forum is in read-only mode.

I just read about Square suing a ROM hacker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Roberttitus, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Roberttitus

Roberttitus Active Member

He was making a hack of Chrono Trigger & they sued him for I think it was $5,000. That brings into question something pretty important.

1. Why does Square have the stick so far up there as?

2. What was his hack hurting?

3. Have they ever actually tried to sue this site? I mean Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days has a crap ton of downloads.

2. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

It was not a single person who was doing that fan fiction hack, it was a group of Chrono Trigger fans who wanted to "expound" on the whole Chrono Trigger universe, something Square-Enix should have done themselves.

4. ultra

ultra Guest

square doesn't have a case, at least they shouldn't have. these rom hackers, rather as individuals or group have done nothing wrong. rom hacks happen all the time and regardless if the company likes them or not, they are doing nothing wrong as for one, they are not doing it for profit [at least i hope not].

it would be like buying a car then simply have a couple of professional mechanics stop by your garage and alter the car. the car company get's mad and files a suit. btw, it wouldn't matter if it's a car you own or not, but as long as there is a need for that alteration, then that is fine.

what this looks like is that square was too arrogant to do what many people wanted. they missed the opportunity and are really quite pissed off that these people are actually making something where people will actually like. even worse, it's for free.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Good point as always ultra :)

And to think, those guys at Chrono Compendium had brilliant ideas. One in particular that I kinda liked was the fan fiction hack where you play as a reptite, Azala to be specific & you get to "see" things in the reptite colony's point of view which leads to the point in the original game where Crono & his pals try stopping what Azala was doing over at Tyrano Lair which by the way was to prepare their lineage for Lavos' comming.

6. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Don't companies have policies with people messing with their game codes? I believe that's the case.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I don't think so, no.

Also, these ROM Hackers don't actually use the game companies' codes, tools &/or applications (with the exception of DS Homebrew games it seems) for making their hacks. In most cases they go bare bones, slaving away using Assembly programming tools to get the job done. It's only been in recent years that "entry level" programs (by veteran ROM Hackers) have surfaced making this craft accessible to a beginner.

As ultra said, this has been done & is still being done to this day by ROM Hacking enthusiasts. Haven't you heard of the countless Mario & Pokemon hacks out there (there are even a few by RomUlation members too) but did Nintendo cry about it? Well if they did, they obviously can't do anything about it, so Square-enix should, how was it....?

"Shut the fcuk up!"

8. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Ah. Just a question. If that's not the case then they really don't have much of a case, unless the games they were using were pirated, then that's about it.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well, technically the games are pirated, as the ROM Hackers do use ROM Back ups of actual game cartridges.

And if that is the case, there'd still be one ROM Hack fan fiction Square-enix can never contest & that's Dragoon X Omega II:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/143/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9rMq9VIpU

You tell me where Final Fantasy I ends & Dragoon X Omega II begins?

LOL! ;D